Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Delphi Roady2 XM antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delphi Roady2 XM antenna

I just ordered my Roady2.. We'll see how long it takes to get (out of stock) ...

The only negative is no glass mount antenna..
So I'll have to run a wire from the outside of my car to the inside..

Has anybody done this yet? If so where did you mount your antenna and where did you route the wire?

I'd like to mount it on the top of the hatch on the glass.. then I could run the wire around the hatch glass.. But I don't know if this will hurt reception..
Old 08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

I've got the Audiovox Sirius PNP2 receiver custom mounted in my Firehawk.
I trashed the stock antenna and picked up a Terk Sirius antenna that is mounted on my dash, wedged up between the windshield and the dash. The wiring is all completely hidden. The FM Modulator is buried behind the Monsoon unit. You don't HAVE to put the antenna on the outside to get proper reception.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Mine is installed on the cover. I ran the wire inside the rear hatch and put the receiver unit next to the factory amp (rightside panel). From there it was just one cable to the front. The stock antenna will not work if you try to keep it inside the car, tried that but no luck.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If the Roady2 uses regular XM antenna plugs (a green one and a yellow one), then any XM antenna will work. Terk does make a glass-mount XM antenna (well... they used to and I havent checked recently). In my Formula, I hid the antenna between the trim and the hatch under the wing. Its all plastic back there so it doesnt interfere with the signal. If you have room there, thats a good place to put it. I'll see If I can post pics later. While you will get descent signal if the antenna is inside the car, you will get fewer and shorter drops if the signal is not blocked by metal or glass (automotive glass is coated). In other words, outside the car or in a plastic panel like I did. Metallic paint can also interfere with the signal somewhat (my car is black -- not metallic).
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here are some pics of where I hid my Terk slim-line XM antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Delphi Roady2 XM antenna-antenna_2.jpg  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

how is reception with the antenna in that spot? Im getting the same set up for my car
Old 09-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Both the Roady and the Roady 2 use the newer single-lead antenna. Still, there are plenty of choices available and most are much smaller than the older style.

I put my antenna on the trim between the t-tops and it is hardly noticeable there. I wanted to ensure the best possible reception by having it on the roof as recommended by XM. I posted pictures here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519071
Old 09-01-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

that looks good there
Old 09-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
how is reception with the antenna in that spot? Im getting the same set up for my car
Reception is great. Its better than it was when it was sitting on the child seat anchor in the hatch area (the back of the antenna is magnetic).

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I put my antenna on the trim between the t-tops and it is hardly noticeable there.
My antenna is a bit wider than that so it wouldn't look right. Although that's the best place to put an XM antenna (as far as reception).