Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

door speakers MINUS the monsoon amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door speakers MINUS the monsoon amp

i've got 2 alpine door speakers and a sub. the monsoon amp sucks, and i'm wondering if hooking up the alpine door speakers directly to the HU (60wx4) will make the sound any better? and if so, how do i go about bypassing the monsoon and hooking the door speakers directly to the HU? all of my other stock speakers are removed.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

Do you have an aftermarket HU? Door speakers are powered by the monsoon HU anyway, not the amp IIRC. Either way if you're trying to put in new speakers with the stock HU, you're wasting your time/money. Little more detail on what all you've got and what all you're trying to do would help.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

You'll have to run speaker wiring to each speaker, and then to the head unit. Same with running them off an amp... new wiring from the amp to the speakers. There is a way to use the factory wiring, but it is a pain in the *** to do. If you have an amp running the sub, the hed unit power will be insufficient for the mids/highs, and will be overwhelmed by the bass. I recommend you save your $$, buy a nice 2-channel amp (around 75WRMS x 2) and run your front speakers off of that. disconnect everything else.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

contrary to both posts above, this can be done very easily, and it sounds mounds better than speakers that run through the monsoon amp only. you basically unplug the monsoon amp and then splice the two front speaker positives together, and the same with the negatives. you do this for both the front right and left speakers. although the info i got from this link is not intended to teach me what i did, it will provide anyone interested in this with the correct wire colors to do so. here is a link with more info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...kers+head+unit

i can now turn the volume up quite a bit without hearing any distortion at all. my HU also has a crossover for my speakers, so the speakers now play no bass, whereas with the monsoon they played bass in addition to everything else, which only muddled the sound even more. without a HU that filters out the bass, you would need to run capacitors on the positive speaker wires to get the same filtering effect.

i urge everyone with an aftermarket HU to try this with the front and rear speakers (or take the rears out). you won't be disappointed with how much better the sound is, and the whole thing took me about 10 minutes. it's quite easily reversible too, if you do decide you don't like the sound afterwards. i also have aftermarket speakers (alpines), so i'm sure they help the process sound MUCH better than just regular ole stock speakers.

this is a definite mod for anyone with an aftermarket HU and a sub AND the alpine front speakers, and even for those without the sub i think this would make your system much clearer. it's retarted how much the monsoon distorts, and you notice this when you take the crappy thing out of the sound loop. if you do this, while lessening the distortion on those front speakers, you'll probably also notice that your speakers will last longer because of that.

Last edited by tuffluck; 09-23-2004 at 03:31 PM.