Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

toggle switch won't light up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy toggle switch won't light up?

I have a toggle switch for my nitrous. It lit up once then never did again. I rewired the fog light switch and am now using that instead of my old toggle switch. The fog light switch works but it dosen't light up either? does any one know why? also can some one help me add a little led light with two wires? I'm a dumb *** and dont know how it works. Please help
Old 09-24-2004, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

please help!!! I'm retarded
Old 09-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The most common reason a switch light won't work is failing to provide a separate ground for the light circuit.

The fog light switch has 5 wires - brown, yellow, light green, gray and black. They are connected as follows:
E - Brown: 12V power source (normally from headlight switch but you should connect to an ignition controlled source for your purposes)
F - Yellow: Output to the fog light relay (or to whatever you want to power)
A - Light Green: To ground for the ON indicator light
C - Gray: Switch illumination power (from the dash lights)
B - Black: To ground for the illumination

A lighted toggle switch will have 3 terminals. One is power input, one is output to the accessory, and the last is ground for the switch light. They will usually be marked. Generally, they will be arranged with two of them side-by-side and another below - like this:
| |
|
The one that is by itself at the bottom is usually the power input. The one directly above that is the output to the accessory and the one beside the output goes to ground.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

thanx alot, my toggle is wired propaly and works, it just dosen't light up.Can I splice the wires from my original fog light switch to hook up the light green wire and grey wire? thanx alot for responding.

Last edited by xxboomer408xx; 09-24-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, if it's wired properly (including the extra ground), then I would think that the only other possibility is a burned out or faulty bulb in the switch.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

i edited my old message , look up!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a similar problem with my switch for my line lock. It used to light up but now it doesnt. I even swaped switches and it still doesnt work. I checked my ground but It seems fine.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

one of my friend's that went to UTI said that I'm probably not getting enough power to the switch and to switch to a different power source.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by xxboomer408xx
thanx alot, my toggle is wired propaly and works, it just dosen't light up.Can I splice the wires from my original fog light switch to hook up the light green wire and grey wire? thanx alot for responding.
No, not for use to control a different accessory. The light green wire doesn't go directly to ground in the factory harness. It runs through the high beam headlight circuit - which is why your fog lights go off when you use the high beams. The gray wire provides power only when the dash lights are on and the voltage changes depending on how bright you turn the dash dimmer switch.

Now, the black wire goes directly to ground so you could use that.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

so ur saying i could ground my light green wire with the the black wire? Well i did it before like i said, I spiced the green one and now the light tights up sometimes but the original fog light switch dosen't. they like switch off.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by xxboomer408xx
so ur saying i could ground my light green wire with the the black wire? Well i did it before like i said, I spiced the green one and now the light tights up sometimes but the original fog light switch dosen't. they like switch off.
I don't understand exactly how you're trying to hook this up. You can't use the fog light switch for an accessory and still have it run the fog lights. If you've cut the original fog light switch harness then you can connect the switch as I listed above. If you haven't cut or disconnected the harness from the fog light switch then don't splice into those wires for any other accessory. They don't provide the simple power and ground that you need.

If you have cut the harness then, yes, you can connect the light green wire from the switch to the black wire in the original harness to provide a good ground. You'll need to connect the brown wire at the switch to some power source such as the fuse box. The brown wire in the original harness is fed by the headlight switch and wouldn't be suitable for your needs. You can then run a wire from the yellow wire at the switch to a relay or directly to your accessory.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

i have 2 foglight switchs. One is working my fog lights and one is working my nitrous. i did splice the grey wire from the original fog light switch and hooked up the light green wire with the black wire ground. I only spliced the grey wire. do u get it now?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

OK, you should not splice into any of the first switch's wires to run the second switch. And, if you do, you should splice into the correct wires.

The gray wire on the original switch will provide power only when the dash lights are on and even then it will be less than full voltage unless you have the dash dimmer turned all the way up. You need to use an independant power source (such as from the fuse box) that is ignition controlled - all the power at the original fog light switch is headlight controlled.

Assuming you mean that you connected the light green wire from the second switch to the black wire on the original switch, that should give you a good ground. If you did it the other way around (black from the second switch to light green on the original switch) then you will have ground only when not using the high beams and the fog lights might not work all the time.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

hum, interesting. Thanx for all the help bro. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: toggle switch won't light up?