Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I have a Kenwood 4 Channel Amp...Is this any use to my SS???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have a Kenwood 4 Channel Amp...Is this any use to my SS???

I have an 01 SS as listed below and I am trying to figure out what to do with my stereo... I think a couple speakers are blown.. Im thinkin about doin the Alpine mod for the door speakers...but right now thats not what im wondering... Now for the question... I have an older (not ancient) Kenwood 4 channel amplifier that Is used but it perfect working order.. Can I use this at all in my system? Can I replace the factory monsoon amplifier, and get better sound with replaced speakers??? I dunno if it would work b/c there are six speakers in the SS... SO i need some suggestions. Thanks ALOT!!!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Anyone?? Can factory HU's take a aftermarket amp? Help Please...
Old 10-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BadBowtie03
Anyone?? Can factory HU's take a aftermarket amp? Help Please...
If you get new speakers in your car, you will ony need your fronts and back seat, set replaced. dont worry with the back, just unplug them. They really dont make a difference. Yes, once you have New speakers in your car you can push them with your kenwood amp. Just make sure that you speakers can handle the amount of power the KW puts out. I have alpine speakers (type S) alpine head unit, JBL 4 channel amp for speakers, MTX 8000 10" sub powered by MTX 4250 mono block. It gets REALLY lound in my car. Alpine rocks and is the way to go. let me know if i can help with anything else, PM me or post.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

are you running this off the factory HU?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by golddot
are you running this off the factory HU?
Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

To answer your question.. I was goin to try to, so I could get 4 ohm speakers 4 of them... 2 for the door and 2 for the back seat. But, Ive been told otherwise... I was told I really cant run my amp with the factory HU... Is this true? If it is, I think im gonna hold off, and maybe just replace the front door speakers and keep the factory HU/amp.. Thanks for the help! Any other comment Welcome!!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Yes you can run your Kenwood amp using the factory deck. I vigorously encourage all F-Body owners to rip out their Monsoon amplifiers, and throw them off the nearest cliff. But seriously, the Monsoon amp is a big distortion box, not anywhere near it's rated power. What I would do if I were you:
1- Go to local car stereo store, circuit city, Best Buy, etc. and buy a PAC OEM-2 Line Output converter. You can also pick it up online at: http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/c...s/pac-oem2.htm
The line output converter basically will convert the speaker-level output of your monsoon deck to two pairs (front and rear) RCA signal level for your amplifier.
2- Also at the above stores, you should be able to find this harness: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=6554&DID=7 This will allow you to do this without cutting up the factory wiring, and it's all plug and play, except the connection between the LOC and the wiring harness.
Here are the color codes for the monsoon radio: http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/HeadUnit.htm

3- Then, buy some RCA cables to connect the LOC to the amplifier.
The big thing you are going to have to do is run your own speaker wire, bit it is not too hard. Just pull out the seats, pull up the carpet, and run your wire. Getting the wire can be a little tricky, but it just takes a little patience and a coat hanger. Do a search, or look on www.fbodyaudio.com for how to do that.
3- Run your power wire, remote and ground to your amp, and your ready to go! P.S. Don't forget to fuse the power wire within 18" of the battery! Good luck with your system!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Hey thanks ALOT man!!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

No problem!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snootch
Yes you can run your Kenwood amp using the factory deck. I vigorously encourage all F-Body owners to rip out their Monsoon amplifiers, and throw them off the nearest cliff. But seriously, the Monsoon amp is a big distortion box, not anywhere near it's rated power.
very true. i recently added a 200W sub/amp to my system, an alpine head unit, and i ripped out every speaker but my door monsoon-powered alpines. the setup sounded okay, but nothing spectacular. i eventually just unplugged the monsoon and spliced the wires so that the front speakers were powered only by the HU, and not by the monsoon amp at all. the difference is incredible. my front speakers used to rattle from distortion, now they don't make a peep. the system sounds very nice now, and i have no complaints (yet ).