Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Please help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 09:54 AM
fff
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me decide

Hi,

I am putting together a new stereo system for a 2002 Trans Am. I know what brands I like, so to keep the responses away from "You should go with brand x over y", I am just going to give general setup specs. After I get some recommendations, if anyone cares, I will post up the specifics on what I am using. Please help me choose between the following to setups. I listen to everything from Bad Brains to Beethoven and Pink Floyd to Prodigy, so I am not trying to tailor this for a massive bass system:

Head Unit: (I hate the look of mounting kits, so I plan to completely fill the opening)
Either a Din and 1/2 HU
Or
Single Din HU and 1/2 Din Passive EQ

Speakers:
6 3/4 Components in Front Door (power - 60 RMS)
6 3/4 Full Range in Sail Panel (power - 60 RMS)
Stealth Box w/ 10" DVC sub (Power - 300 RMS)

Or

6 3/4 Mid-Bass in Sail Panel (Power - 120RMS)
5*7 in rear (power - 60 RMS)

I really like the idea of not getting the stealth sub box simply because I like the sound of the Monsoon setup, it just lacks in clarity and high volume efficiency. My goal is to have a good sounding, accurate system. Not to let cars in a 20 mile radius know I am there. That is what the headers are for

Thanks very much!

Fred
Old 09-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Teching In

this is a much better setup IMO

Speakers:
6 3/4 Full Range in Sail Panel (power - 60 RMS)
Stealth Box w/ 10" DVC sub (Power - 300 RMS)

With 300 WRMS your not gonna be to loud and you can always controll the gains on the amps to keep the bass as low as you want. but the bass will be much much cleaner and with never distort like if you turned up some 5x7 or 6 3/4 mids.

Im doing a similar setup in my car I just want a great SQ really clean car with a little bass not too much though. and im doing
6.5 comp
10 sub
Old 09-30-2004, 10:53 AM
fff
Staging Lane

I have gotten some replies on another board basically saying the same thing. I think that is the way I am going to go. Does anyone have any thoughts on the HU? Either 1.5 Din or single din HU and 1/2 din eq?

Thanks!

Fred
Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a 95 camaro that i ran a pioneer cd and pioneer 9band eq in place of factory and with only minor mods to the mounting kit it looked like it came from the factory. hope this helps
Old 09-30-2004, 03:08 PM
fff
Staging Lane

Yes it does! Thank you! How much modifying was required? Was it bend, curse, push, curse, bend some more and done? or did you have to modify the dash at all?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
i had a 95 camaro that i ran a pioneer cd and pioneer 9band eq in place of factory and with only minor mods to the mounting kit it looked like it came from the factory. hope this helps