Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Confused about new HU with Monsoon.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about new HU with Monsoon.

Hey
I've been trying to install a sony headunit into my buddy's '93 Trans Am. Today we took out the old radio, then plugged in the new headunit, and the speakers were crackin, and sounded worse than with the stock radio. It sounded like the speakers were blown, and the midrange speakers in the sail panels didn't work. We reconnected the stock headunit, and it sounded better than the sony. So this got me thinking about the factory amp, and if it would cause problems. So right now he's not using the new one.

I'm almost positive it's a monsoon, at least according to him, and since it has the extra speakers. Anyways, I've done some searching, and I've found basically several opinions: 1)Wire the headunit like you would with any other car, 2)Buy an adapter to lower the high level outputs of the new headunit, so you don't fry the factory amps. 3) Bypass the factory amp.
I know there's different opinions, but I don't want to fry the amp, considering it not even my car.

The conclusion I've come to, is to disconnect the amp, then just connect the input/out wires for the speakers coming off of the amp. I'd like to know the safest, cheapest, possibly the least permanet way. Any input would be appriciated.

Thanx,
Corey
Old 10-08-2004, 07:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

A 93 is probably not a Monsoon system. If I remember correctly, the premium audio system back then was Bose. With a Monsoon system you can just plug in a new head unit and it will work because the amp takes speaker-level input. The Bose is an entirely different system and requires an adapter in order to work with the original speakers.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that it isn't a monsoon, and probably not a bose. It doesn't say it on the stock receiver, so I think it's safe to assume its just the normal CD player, why would the Sony headunit sound worst than the stock cd player. Shouldn't it sound better with a lot less distortion? Just confused about why the new headunit sounds worse. Thanks for the help!

Corey

Search this Thread