Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Light comes on wont let me crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Light comes on wont let me crank

SO I was coming back to the parking lot from my dr appointment and I get in my 1999 trans am. Well I put the keys in to crank it and it just the radio comes on and the "Security" light comes on. I was like so, I got out, turned the alarm on, then off, got back in. No avail. So I popped the hood, everything was as I left it, got back in and it cranks. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, I did a search (like I should of in the first place) and I read something about vats, cleaning the chip and waiting 3 minutes for the light to go off.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Cleaning the chip?
Old 10-10-2004, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTA 123
Cleaning the chip?
So I heard
Old 10-11-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep this happend to me a while back. I wound up ordering a new chip (as insurance) but cleaning my old one worked great.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by BTA 123
Cleaning the chip?
The chip he's refering to is the resistor in the key. When it gets too dirty the resistance changes and the VATS system won't allow the car to start.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Yep this happend to me a while back. I wound up ordering a new chip (as insurance) but cleaning my old one worked great.
Where is the chip located? Plus my alarm went off this morning... possible bad battery
Old 10-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

See my post above...the "chip" is the resistor (that little black thing with a metal contact) on your ignition key. When you insert your key in the ignition, the VATS system checks that it has the proper resistance before letting the car start. The idea was to prevent thieves from smashing the lock cylinder and turning the ignition switch with a screwdriver.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
See my post above...the "chip" is the resistor (that little black thing with a metal contact) on your ignition key. When you insert your key in the ignition, the VATS system checks that it has the proper resistance before letting the car start. The idea was to prevent thieves from smashing the lock cylinder and turning the ignition switch with a screwdriver.
Ah...thanks So vats is on my key? I see it now, thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, sort of. VATS is an acronym for Vehicle Anti-Theft System. It is also known as the PASS-Key system (Personal Automotive Security System). There are 15 different resistance values available in GM ignition keys. The value matching your key is programmed into the BCM (Body Control Module). The BCM in turn controls the starter relay and fuel supply through the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). If the key resistor has the correct value then the BCM allows the car to start. If not, then it has the PCM shut off the fuel and doesn't reset for about 3 minutes. This is to discourage thieves from randomly trying resistor values.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Well, sort of. VATS is an acronym for Vehicle Anti-Theft System. It is also known as the PASS-Key system (Personal Automotive Security System). There are 15 different resistance values available in GM ignition keys. The value matching your key is programmed into the BCM (Body Control Module). The BCM in turn controls the starter relay and fuel supply through the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). If the key resistor has the correct value then the BCM allows the car to start. If not, then it has the PCM shut off the fuel and doesn't reset for about 3 minutes. This is to discourage thieves from randomly trying resistor values.
Wow thanks for the info man, I love ls1tech
Old 10-14-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

If it continues to happen the problem could also lie in the tumber itself. They way it was designed is a maintenance guarantee. Everytime you turn the key the tumber itself moves just a small bit. On the outside of the ignition cylinder there are two small wires connected via a harness into wiring to the PCM. These small wires have a protective sheath around them that rubs ever so slightly with every key turn. Eventually the wires sever right there at the sheath, just far enough protected so that you can't get in to repair the wire break. A new ignition cylinder is needed at this time. You can buy one from a parts store for about $45 and it comes with a key template for the new Pass-Key you will need to have ground at a dealership for about $20 to make it run. Or you can take it into a dealer and have them charge somewhere between $450-500 to do the same thing. Even if you need to buy a manual and borrow some tools from the auto store, it's a lot cheaper. The work itself is not hard at all I have done it twice already, once for my 94 and once on my 00. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Default Security light

If I do the VATS bypass will it turn of the security light on my dash?OTE]
Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

If I do a VATS bypass with the resistor will that get rid of the security light that is on in my dash, thanks,Beau.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for bumping this old *** thread but my Security light came on today, stays on and won't go away. Did searches and may be different things: ignition cylinder lock, resistor, BCM, etc. This sucks and light is annoying. Anyone know exactly the problem? Car is A4.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Let me put this in perspective...

Your question is like somebody saying "My car won't start. I've searched and found that it could be the battery, the starter relay, or the starter. I don't want to look at more than one possibility so please tell me what is wrong."

A VATS bypass with resistors will eliminate (bypass actually) the problem if it is caused by a worn or grimy key, a worn or grimy ignition cylinder, or damaged wires in the steering column. That would only leave the BCM itself or the wiring between the column and the BCM.

Have you tried your spare key? Have you tried cleaning your key and inside the ignition cylinder? The light is not flashing so the BCM is getting some reading - just not the right one. You could get out a multimeter and do some testing to track down the problem. Check resistance at the bottom of the column with the key in. It should be within 10% of the reading of the key itself.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened on my 97 V6 when I was changing the coils, security light on and no start, I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and it went away.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Let me put this in perspective...

Your question is like somebody saying "My car won't start. I've searched and found that it could be the battery, the starter relay, or the starter. I don't want to look at more than one possibility so please tell me what is wrong."

A VATS bypass with resistors will eliminate (bypass actually) the problem if it is caused by a worn or grimy key, a worn or grimy ignition cylinder, or damaged wires in the steering column. That would only leave the BCM itself or the wiring between the column and the BCM.

Have you tried your spare key? Have you tried cleaning your key and inside the ignition cylinder? The light is not flashing so the BCM is getting some reading - just not the right one. You could get out a multimeter and do some testing to track down the problem. Check resistance at the bottom of the column with the key in. It should be within 10% of the reading of the key itself.
I tried my spare key, cleaned mine with rubbing alcohol, cleaned the ignition cylinder alittle bit and light is still on. How can I do a VATS bypass? ? That crappy system is the whole reason this is happening. I wouldn't doubt it's my battery either, it's pretty old I'm assuming.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can rule out the battery with a simple battery reading too.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
You can rule out the battery with a simple battery reading too.
Ya I'll prolly go to autozone to see if they can read it for me. But I've had bad batteries in my other '99 Camaro and the security light never came on when the battery was bad.

Quick Reply: Security Light comes on wont let me crank