Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power window replacement ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window replacement ????

ok my power window motor is going to be needing replaced here before long (99 TA) and i was just wondering if anybody had instructions on this and knew how hard it was. also couldn't you instead of replacing the whole motor assembly just bend the 2 tabs at the bottom that hold the motor guts in and just replace the internal guts, or would this be harder. thats what i didn on my 83 camaro and it sure seemed alot easier then trying to replace the whole motor assembly.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:25 PM
STF Veteran

You replace the entire assembly.

Get a Seimens motor from Autozone, as they are much more reliable than the OEM's. Should be about 50 bucks.

Here is a link for the how to. Should take about an hour for a first timer. Good luck.

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its easy to replace the motor. It comes out as an assembly after drilling 3 holes to expose the rivits and drilling out the rivits...I did it this weekend. I took me about an hour (would take me less next time). The best part is that I found the instructions by doing a search here on LS1Tech.

Here is some of what I found:
Camaro:
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Firebird:
http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/window.htm
More Info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=window+motor

You can get a Seimans motor from AutoZone for $55. It has a lifetime warranty.

EDIT: TA TED, beat me to it. I was searching for the links.
EDIT: I filled in the link above.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-18-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I put the link in my post above. I used the instructions for the Firebird when I did mine.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Teching In

alright thanks everybody, sounds like it'll be easier then replacing the motor in my 3rd gen
Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Teching In

very late response but i found this very helpful in repairing my problem, thank you for the right up , 6 yrs after the fact
Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

is it any better to replace the window motor/regulator as an assembly?

thanks
tony
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
is it any better to replace the window motor/regulator as an assembly?

thanks
tony
No, as long as you don't have any problems with your scissor mech. (window up/down) then just replace the motor as it is wayyyy easier and as stated can be done in an hour or less. Took me an hour and a half to do both doors. One tip, make sure to spray some white lith grease on the hinge points of the scissor mech while in there as it will reduce any squeeks and lenth the life of it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just the motor is easy. Takes less than a hour. After the first time it gets a lot easier too.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

how do you know where to drill the 3 1/2" shown on the instructions?

tony
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with everything here, recently did the drivers side on a TA and on my car also.. used the shbox method posted above, just replaced the motor.. works fine and its easy
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Amazon sells a Dorman for $25 with a lifetime warranty. I just installed one in the right passenger window with the replacement relay last month. Well worth the price.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

i only replaced the window motor. local shop said i needed to replace the other part "regulator?" or whatever and all together was going to cost $200+.. i bought the $60 motor at the auto store and put it in myself..works great!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn I think my drivers side motor just possibly failed cause it stop rolling up or down fully after a pressing the button for a few seconds.

Anyone have any issues with Autozone's power window motors?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure why people are still paying for replacement motors that are going to fail just like the factory one did. I did a write up on repairing them by bypassing the failed part. This has worked 100% of the times I have done it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html

Last edited by slow96z; 02-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow96z
I'm not sure why people are still paying for replacement motors that are going to fail just like the factory one did. I did a write up on repairing them by bypassing the failed part. This has worked 100% of the times I have done it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html
Is the design of the aftermarket motors which are so common now the same as that OEM design, as far as that "feature" is concerned? I'm getting a new (to me) Firebird soon and will be into the interior and doors. If I can lengthen the life of the motors that are installed then I would happily do this, but they're aftermarket motors.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the aftermatket motors are the same design, but I wouldn't do it just to lengthen the life of them unless they are already having problems. This is really a repair, not a window performance mod. If your windows move a little when you hit the switch and then stop, this is the repair for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the aftermatket motors are the same design, but I wouldn't do it just to lengthen the life of them unless they are already having problems. This is really a repair, not a window performance mod. If your windows move a little when you hit the switch and then stop, this is the repair for you.
I already bought a replacement window motor from Autozone but will have to try this repair with the old motor 1st.

Thanks slow96z for sharing this!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

...but I wouldn't do it just to lengthen the life of them unless they are already having problems. This is really a repair, not a window performance mod. If your windows move a little when you hit the switch and then stop, this is the repair for you.
Um...Perhaps you don't really know how an electric motor works, but this WOULD be something to do BEFORE it becomes a problem. By the time it becomes a problem you could have already worn out the brushes and armature, as well as fried windings...I took apart one of my originals to try to fix it like you did, and sure enough, motor was shot.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squee
Um...Perhaps you don't really know how an electric motor works, but this WOULD be something to do BEFORE it becomes a problem. By the time it becomes a problem you could have already worn out the brushes and armature, as well as fried windings...I took apart one of my originals to try to fix it like you did, and sure enough, motor was shot.
If you have something to add, fine, but I don't see the cause for your attitude here. Maybe check it before you come in trying to make people look dumb for offering help. I have yet to find a motor that would not work after this fix, so that's what I based my information on.

Quick Reply: power window replacement ????