Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window doesn't roll up

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window doesn't roll up

So, I have the windows down on the way to work, leave the T-Tops off, but a storm blows in right at the end of the day. I put the tops back on, and start to roll up the windows...The passenger side window has always been slower than the driver side, but that wasn't the real problem. The real problem arose when the driver side window stopped going up!!! I push the button over and over and nothing! I took a few breaths and tried to calm down, then tried it again...it went up a little bit, then waited, then pushed, then a little more progress. After about ten minutes, I finally got it all the way up. Anyone have a clue what would cause this to happen and how to fix it???
Old 10-23-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well go get that window motor replaced cuz its bound to go out soon... Mine did that for a couple weeks and then the window motor went out... I am still yet to fix it but I know that it is the window motor... so just go get a new one!
Old 10-23-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes a new motor will be needed soon and better than being in a rain storm!
Old 10-24-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your motor is going to go bad obviously. Next time it happens it happens, you should park, go over to the drivers side, pull up on the window itself and press the button like you were going to roll it up. This will take the stress off the motor and it should roll up. That reminds me, I need to replace my passenger side window soon
Old 10-29-2004, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

anyone know the part number for a new motor and approximate cost?
Old 10-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kapedogg
anyone know the part number for a new motor and approximate cost?

I just had mine replaced, I think the part was around 200 dollars. Mine was doing that exact same thing, going very slow, then it would stop, and you would have to wait a bit, then you could roll it up a bit more. Get it replaced.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have heard good things about simmens (did i spell that right?). I have been told that some autozones carry them. I doubt they cost over 50 bucks. Thats what im going to replace my passenger side with.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i know autozone carries them, i've heard 60 bucks. Sometimes you can get lucky and push on the door panel itself and the motor will work better, lol
Old 11-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=motor
Old 11-01-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I have heard good things about simmens (did i spell that right?). I have been told that some autozones carry them. I doubt they cost over 50 bucks. Thats what im going to replace my passenger side with.
Correctamundo!!, Auto Bone carries Siemens window motors for about 40.00, they aren't very hard to install be careful of the sharp sheet metal inside door it leaves cuts all over hands.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 87gnx
Correctamundo!!, Auto Bone carries Siemens window motors for about 40.00, they aren't very hard to install be careful of the sharp sheet metal inside door it leaves cuts all over hands.
uhh the door panel is fiberglass... but yeah I replaced mine pretty it is easy theres a write up around here some where, do a search. You have to drilll out the rivets to get the old one out.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
uhh the door panel is fiberglass... but yeah I replaced mine pretty it is easy theres a write up around here some where, do a search. You have to drilll out the rivets to get the old one out.
UHH I said the inside door( nothing about the door panel), but thanks for your expertise!!
Old 11-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 87gnx
UHH I said the inside door( nothing about the door panel), but thanks for your expertise!!
The entire door is fiberglass. Only the bracket that holds the window motor and the window regulator is metal.

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
theres a write up around here some where, do a search
Answer:
Old 11-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem on my 99 RamAir about a year and half after I bought it. Took it and they replaced the motor. Worked fine after that.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Bought a Siemens motor from autozone for 50 bones. Install tomorrow...we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

I kept breaking drill bits trying to drill out the rivets, but other than that it wasn't a big deal at all. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I kept breaking drill bits trying to drill out the rivets, but other than that it wasn't a big deal at all. Thanks for the help guys!
You probably weren't using a big enough drill bit. The bit needs to be bigger than the hole in the rivit head. That way you'll drill though the "folded" part where the head meets the rest of the rivit. The head will fall off and look like a doughnut. Its really quick actually.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

I think my drill sucks because when I tried bigger bits, it would lock up and I would have to back it out.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

i hope you guys dont mind me using this thread to post my question, but is sort of related and it will keep from having yet ANOTHER busted motor thread....

so my window motor is busted too. i'm going to replace it soon but was wondering... i am under warranty so im hoping it will be covered, however i wouldnt mind buying one and installing it myself if the Siemens motor is of better quality than that of what the dealership is gonna use.

what do you guys think? should i just do it myself, or use the warranty?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I think my drill sucks because when I tried bigger bits, it would lock up and I would have to back it out.
Did your drill make a clicking/clacking sound? If so, then the chuck was set at too low a tourque setting. If the drill bit dug in and the whole rivit spun, then yeah that happens sometimes.

Originally Posted by MyKeE
should i just do it myself, or use the warranty?
My answer.... free now pay later.

If its covered under warranty, let them handle it. Thats what the warranty is there for. When that one eventually fails, then replace it yourself with seimans motor. The seimans motor isn't perfect either. Some people have reported them failing as well. Also, there could be something wrong with the guides or regulator (I had a broken guide previously). Let them take care of it.