Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon troubles...Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon troubles...Please Help!!

I just had my amp and subs installed in my 99' TA, with the monsoon. It's a 1900 watt Boss 2 channel amp, and 2 Pioneer IMPP 12's. This setup was previously installed in my tahoe where it bumped HARD! They installer used a hi/low level imput adapter to hook up the RCA's to the stock H/u, now the amp turns on and the speakers play but VERY softly. Did they hook up the hi\low level in the wrong place? Shoud it be done off the monsoon amp? Or should I ditch the Factory h/U? I saw there was an adapter to keep my steering wheel controls functional witha aftermarket H/U, but which H/U will it be compatible with? Anybody who has done a similar set up please give me some insight into the complex monsoon system. Thanks in advance.

-Zack
99' WS6 T/A
96' Tahoe (Lifted 9"s w/ 35"s)
03' Honda Aquatrax F-12X
Old 10-24-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

in all honesty, i think you should absolutely rid yourself of the monsoon, especially with subs. you truly are not going to get the potential out of your subs without an aftermarket HU (a good one at that). also, i would suggest buying speakers for up front along with a small amp to power them. i am currently running coax's in my door panels, powered by 50watts rms, and they sound fine. if i were starting from scratch, i would look into a pair of these:

http://purecaraudio.com/index.asp?Pa...OD&ProdID=1164

as for your troubles, i'd definitely recommend you make sure you did the wiring correctly on the LOC. from personaly experience, i had so much trouble with the monsoon and my various LOC's that i eventually had to completely stop trying to make it work for a period of two months or so. finally i decided to get everything back up and running, but to buy a real HU and unplug the factory POS amp. i SHOULD have taken this route from the beginning.

btw, i'm still running my stock speaker wires for my fronts to the RF amp. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...kers+head+unit)
Old 10-24-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hows the gains on the amp are they turned up? What ohm load did he wire the subs at? Where you using the high level input when it was installed before?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Hows the gains on the amp are they turned up? What ohm load did he wire the subs at? Where you using the high level input when it was installed before?

The gains/level, bass boost are all the way up. It is wired up for 4 ohms, I used to have it hooked up to a pioneer deck, He hooked up the high/low level input behind the deck, to the brown wires and if I remember right the blue ones. I got another high/low levl input and I'm going to hook it up to the rear speakers in the hatch area, and see if this works, it sounds like it should work from what I've read in other posts. Please let me know what you think.

-Zack
Old 10-25-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

How low is low? Is it ALOT quieter or just a little? It sounds like the high to low level converter is not getting 12v possibly or a ground. If this was done 'professionally' I would take it back to the shop that did it cause if you start ripping stuff appart they will not stand behind their work.