Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU: Alpine CDA-9835 vs CDA-9827

Old 11-04-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HU: Alpine CDA-9835 vs CDA-9827

As the title says:
Which one you think is better and why ?

CDA-9827:

CDA-9835:

I prefer the fact that the 9835 is blacker and more subtle.
I prefer the display on the 9835 (bigger + LCD)
But I prefer the fact that there is no mechanism to reach the CD on the 9827.
But it looks like the 9835 has less power per channel ???

would be really nice if they made a 1.5 DIN like the 9835, with the space for the CD just on top, without having any flip mechanism... I would buy it right away

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I just checked the specs for both. The only other differences I see is that the CDA-9835 has :
- 6-Channel Digital Time Correction
- 6-Position HP/LP Digital Crossover
- 5-Band Parametric EQ
- Subwoofer Level Control with Phase Selector
and the CDA-9827 either doesn't have them or has lesser versions. Its also possible that they just weren't listed.

If you don't care about those features, flip a coin to decide which one you want.

I also found this one: CDA-9833

It appears to fall between the two you mentioned in features, but it has higher wattage output.

I'm no radio expert. I'm just saying what I see.

It sounds like you can change the screen ilumination color to one of 512 choices on the CDA-9833 and CDA-9835. I guess thats a plus because you can make it match the interior. I too prefer simplicity and would rather not deal with a fold down face, but that isn't enough to give up on these units.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-04-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not go with the 9833 because it has more cons for me than either of the other 2.
ie, the screen is not LCD, and does not have the practicality of CD tray available without the flip... if I go for a flip version, get the 9835.
I guess your sentence is exactly how I feel:
I too prefer simplicity and would rather not deal with a fold down face, but that isn't enough to give up on these units.
I basically want something that will look nice in the car, not too flashy in colors, and that'll have great sound quality... the flip is gadgetty, but I guess I can live with it...
It comes down between chosing from flashy by flip or flashy by color.
Love the 9835.... but a bit @ the power output... how come it's lower... could it be a typo ? or new technology ?

I'm thinking on going without amplifiers and see if I like it... if not, I'll just get amps... guess I need to pass by a shop again and boost the volume on just the HU to see if it's more than enough... I have a guts feeling it is... I'm thinking on getting the X-series speakers (going with all Alpine system)
Old 11-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Where does it say what kind of display it has?
The description for both sound almost identical.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i've seen them... the 9835 is an actual LCD screen... and the writing is much nicer, kind of like a nice small computer screen.
CDA-9835:

The following two, have predefined leds as a display.
CDA-9833:

CDA-9827:
Old 11-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Launching!

neither..go with pioneer premier
Old 11-04-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

If u have monsoon, don't worry about the power output. ur monsoon will power all the speakers. the HU will just send a signal to the amp.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
If u have monsoon, don't worry about the power output. ur monsoon will power all the speakers. the HU will just send a signal to the amp.
Actually, went to the shop and listenned to some Focal and fell in love with them... the guy suggested I keep my Monsoon and put a pre-amp line driver instead of getting a HU, and I keep a stealth approach (good since I'm a convertible)
what you think ???

Here is what I'm talking about:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...Overdrive.html
Old 11-05-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Youre comparing the current Top Line Alpine headunit (besides the F1 Status one which doenst ave 1/2 the features of it), with one of their mid/low line ones, its a no brainer. The 9835 is FAR FAR superior. It should be no contest.

The audio shop guy is a moron, that wont sound good at all. Dump the monsoon, dump the monsoon headunit, and IMO focals run best with an external Amp. IMO you will be disappointed otherwise.

To do it right, get the 9835, whatever Focals you wanna use, and a decent amp like an alpine MRV F340 to drive em (depending on the power requirements of the speakers).
Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
I would not go with the 9833 because it has more cons for me than either of the other 2.
ie, the screen is not LCD, and does not have the practicality of CD tray available without the flip... if I go for a flip version, get the 9835.
I guess your sentence is exactly how I feel:
I basically want something that will look nice in the car, not too flashy in colors, and that'll have great sound quality... the flip is gadgetty, but I guess I can live with it...
It comes down between chosing from flashy by flip or flashy by color.
Love the 9835.... but a bit @ the power output... how come it's lower... could it be a typo ? or new technology ?

I'm thinking on going without amplifiers and see if I like it... if not, I'll just get amps... guess I need to pass by a shop again and boost the volume on just the HU to see if it's more than enough... I have a guts feeling it is... I'm thinking on getting the X-series speakers (going with all Alpine system)
I had a CDA-7863 for 5 years, and everything worked great. It was on of the first units to run the flip face, and was very reliable. The nice thing with the flip face is that you get more display, and if you ever deal with any dust, it doesn't get into the head unit. Also makes the unit harder to ruin if someone breaks in, and the faceplate is off. Thats just my $0.02.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Youre comparing the current Top Line Alpine headunit (besides the F1 Status one which doenst ave 1/2 the features of it), with one of their mid/low line ones, its a no brainer. The 9835 is FAR FAR superior. It should be no contest.

The audio shop guy is a moron, that wont sound good at all. Dump the monsoon, dump the monsoon headunit, and IMO focals run best with an external Amp. IMO you will be disappointed otherwise.

To do it right, get the 9835, whatever Focals you wanna use, and a decent amp like an alpine MRV F340 to drive em (depending on the power requirements of the speakers).
Rogue... what you think of this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/235078-fell-love-listening-focal-speakers-still-have-few-q.html
Even if I keep the Monsoon, it will still go through external amps.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
Rogue... what you think of this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235078
Even if I keep the Monsoon, it will still go through external amps.
Thanks.
As i said, focals rule but dont waste your time with the monsoon hu.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HU: Alpine CDA-9835 vs CDA-9827