Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

adjusting the mtx 801d

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting the mtx 801d

how do i set my 801d mtx amp? what setting..for the tune
Old 11-04-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, don't know the setting controls on the amp, but i can tell you never turn the gain and the bass eq up to the max position, or you will likely clip the signal to your sub, destroying your sub's voice coils. one of the best ways, without the proper equipment, to set the gain on your sub is to unplug the rca's (if you have them) from the mids/highs amp so that only your sub will play.

reset your HU (all bass/treble to 0 and EQ's to flat) and then turn all your gains and bass eq's on the amp to there lowest position. turn the volume on the HU up about 3/4s of the way, then slowly increase the gain and bass EQ on the amp (some will tell you not to use the bass EQ, but i find it's best to do so).

when you hear distortion, back the controls up just a little bit on the amp and then listen a bit more and make sure you hear no more distortion. if you hear no more, that's a good MAX point to set your gain and bass EQ. otherwise, if there is audible distortion at all, clipping is possible.

also set the crossover for the low pass, and keep it at around 80 hz. it's not a brick wall, just a place where frequencies above that point will begin to mellow out.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i should probably also add that with a 375 watt amp myself, i only run it at approximately 3/4s gain on the amp (same with the bass eq). it can take a little more, but i want to be certain that i'm not going to destroy the coil (although i conviniently have a 2 year warranty on my mtx sub).

if you don't have a warranty to cover your sub's ***, it's best to put your amp's gain below the MAX setting i was speaking of earlier. every song is different and plays differently, so i'm sure you'll play some songs that hit a little harder, possibly causing more distortion.

Quick Reply: adjusting the mtx 801d