Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fell in love listening to the Focal speakers.... still have a few q?

Old 11-04-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fell in love listening to the Focal speakers.... still have a few q?

Hi,

went to listen some speakers and fell in love with the Focals.
So I'm getting the following speakers for sure (no compromise):
front speakers:
Focal 165W ($630)

rear speakers:
2x Focal Audiom 6W ($180 x2)

Then I listened to a bit of base from a sub and I think I'll be going with a 8" sub (more than enough for me and fills well... don't like the boum-boum)
sub:
Rockford Fosgate 8" + box... don't remember which model... w/ a mono-amp from Rockford Fosgate (P3001)

amp:
Rockford Fosgate Punch P8004 ($490)

Now the only thing I'm woundering is if I should go with what the shop suggested me to:
Keep stock Monsoon HU and use this:
Overdrive Pre-Amp Line Driver

instead of going with an aftermarket HU... it's not because I save a few $, but more for the stealth of it.
What you guys think ???
There are few people with similar setup in town while keeping stock HU and it kicks ***.

Anyway, the whole setup would still be in the budget, and they install it for free due to the system components.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the stock HU......What? that sucks what are you going to do have a line level converter to RCA's? NO NO NO bad idea a god aftermarket head unit is better than the stock HU with a AudioControl line driver!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

F... it. I'll just ignore the sleeper approach and get the Alpine CDA-9835 HU.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 PM
...with cheese.

if your gonna do it... do it right.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree, get an good aftermarket unit.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to stick with your stock HU you can. Just use a good quality line output converter and that's the very important item to have to make this work.

Here's a few LOC's I'd recommend looking into.

David Navone makes good ones and you can see the ones he sells here:

http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

SoundGate is another one I've heard good things about. I think there was a Grand Prix that did well in IASCA SQ comps with a Delco HU and a SoundGate LOC a while back. Cruthfield use to sell them but I can't seem to find them on their site anymore. You can find more info in regards to them at the following link:

http://www.soundgate.com

A lot of people will knock the Declo HU that comes in GM cars but they do pretty good at putting out a clean and nice signal. Heck, for the money it costs (~$30) you could always try the LOC out and see how it works by running the RCA's up front and have them ready to go if you don't like the way the LOC works out for you. Just another idea for you to try.

HTH!

Ted

PS - Now, the aruements of the Delco's track record on it having display issues and also the volume **** on the firebirds is a different story!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ted J
If you want to stick with your stock HU you can. Just use a good quality line output converter and that's the very important item to have to make this work.

Here's a few LOC's I'd recommend looking into.

David Navone makes good ones and you can see the ones he sells here:

http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

SoundGate is another one I've heard good things about. I think there was a Grand Prix that did well in IASCA SQ comps with a Delco HU and a SoundGate LOC a while back. Cruthfield use to sell them but I can't seem to find them on their site anymore. You can find more info in regards to them at the following link:

http://www.soundgate.com

A lot of people will knock the Declo HU that comes in GM cars but they do pretty good at putting out a clean and nice signal. Heck, for the money it costs (~$30) you could always try the LOC out and see how it works by running the RCA's up front and have them ready to go if you don't like the way the LOC works out for you. Just another idea for you to try.

HTH!

Ted

PS - Now, the aruements of the Delco's track record on it having display issues and also the volume **** on the firebirds is a different story!
Tomorrow, I'm gonna do a test and hear a crappy Subaru stock HU run through same Amp + Focals, but through the pre-amp line-drive... then listen to same setup but with a high-end alpine head unit... ie unplugging the wires going into the amp and plug the ones from the Alpine and listen.
If there is a difference, I'll flush the Monsoon idea... if there ain't... then I might keep the Monsoon and nothing impedes me from upgrading the HU later anyways.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

The best recommendations always come from those things on each side of your head!
Old 11-06-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
The best recommendations always come from those things on each side of your head!
Meaning what the speakers sound like! Not what people tell your ears as I hate it when I hear kids say " this kid I know car is so loud" But he never heard it just hear from people it was so loud! I ask what speakers and are you sure it isn't just loud rattle?
Old 11-06-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love the Focals, I have had 3 different sets in different cars, the Last set I had was the Utopia 3 ways, Focal makes a VERY Very nice speakers, they have incredable midbass, and are very smooth, they like ALOT of power, the more power you give them the better they will sound, I was running around 400 watts per side to my 3-ways. The only disadvantage is they are pretty pricey
Old 11-08-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
Tomorrow, I'm gonna do a test and hear a crappy Subaru stock HU run through same Amp + Focals, but through the pre-amp line-drive... then listen to same setup but with a high-end alpine head unit... ie unplugging the wires going into the amp and plug the ones from the Alpine and listen.
If there is a difference, I'll flush the Monsoon idea... if there ain't... then I might keep the Monsoon and nothing impedes me from upgrading the HU later anyways.
Never used any Subaru HU's but have worked with the Delco's but hopefully the Subaru one will work out nicely but maybe you can respond back with your experiences with that to let others know about it.

Ted

Last edited by Ted J; 11-08-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Utopia's. Im running the 165W's up front.. had to trim the inner door som to get them to fit...... running a focal utopia sub aslo.. 33wx 13" sub in a ported 1.7cuft box..... I agree with them loving lots of power..... what head unit did you decide?
Kyle
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

still haven't bought anything... still deciding... but I think I'm going w/ the Alpine 9835, and screw the Monsoon.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well... it looks like I should not go with the FG amp.
I think I'm getting closer to the ideal setup for me.
After some thinking, I might not go for rear-seat speakers... and just put 2 subs there instead.

So,
HU: Alpine 9835
speakers: Focal 165W
amp: JL 450/4
subs: 2x Focal 5WS

So I would put the 2x 5-3/8' subs in the rear-speaker location and power those with the 2 rear channel from the amp, which is 75W RMS each, which matches the subs nominal 80W... I'd make sure to use the crossover so that i don't exceed the range of the subs.
The Focal 165W would be fed a 150W each in the front... which should be sufficient power to have them sound great at normal volume levels.

Doesn't seem like much, but I think it will sound great... since I've listened to the Focals... but still gets me to the 2k$ mark... and since I'm not a big sub boum-boum fan, I'm sure the 2 small subs should be enough to fill the bass.
This will allow me to not use trunk space with a sub, which is great.

With this, I should be fully setup... just need some wiring... but that should be fairly cheap.

What you guys think ???

Search this Thread