Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio Setup. Opinions/Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Audio Setup. Opinions/Suggestions?

I dont have all the money in the world, but I still like good sound just like about 90% of the people here. Im not an audiophile by any means, but I like good sound quality and nice range. Here is what I was looking at:

2 StealthBoxes
http://subthump.com/acamarostealth.htm ($206 for a pair)

2 Alpine Type-R 10'' 4ohm
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=368 ($97.99 each)

Kicker 04KX850.2 2 Channel Stereo Amplifier
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=307 ($369.99)

Kicker 02K6.2 6 1/2" Component System
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...re=&catid=5767 ($109.99)

Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2" 2-Way Speakers
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=358 ($53.00)

I need suggestions for the amp(s) for the front and rear. Also if you think there is anything that should be changed, LMK.

Also, what order do you think would be the best to purchase this in? Obviously I cant do this all at once
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hop on over to ED's website and check out some of their combo deals. The very bottom complete system combo is an awesome deal. ED's products are top notch. The subs are argued as some of the best for the money.... I know they'll give those Type-R's a run for it! And that component set dwarfs those pesky Kicker's. On top of that, you'll be pushing much more power all around. Very hard deal to beat. If you don't have enough cash to buy it all now, you could snag combo #2 for subs and amp. Work on the rest later. Got an aftermarket headunit yet? Monsoon system?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Launching!

actually, no car yet. I have a deal pending on one, but im not wasting any time modifying it
Old 11-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Launching!

wow, just checked out their deals. I might just save and get the Combo 4 with the 2 subs. I dont see anywhere that it lists the size of the sub though. do i just specify when ordering? also, anyone have any pics of these?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BottleRocket
wow, just checked out their deals. I might just save and get the Combo 4 with the 2 subs. I dont see anywhere that it lists the size of the sub though. do i just specify when ordering? also, anyone have any pics of these?
It does list different sizes. Same price for all sizes. They are labeled "11" for the 10". Yes. Yes. They really are 10" subs. And for pictures and specs, click up top under ED Products. You will be looking at the K line.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Found it. Kinda bland looking huh?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bland? What are you looking for?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

i gotta say i as well dont care one bit for eD's branding/logo.

i think thier k series are beautiful, but that huge scripted font on the cone kills it for me.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I think thats it. I like how sharp the Alpines look, so back on track. How do you guys like this setup?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Those bland looking woofers will blow out of the water just about anything you find at 90% of retail stores, with ease! Along with eD there are only a few other brands worth mentioning (in no particular order)

Adire Audio
Image Dynamics
Dayton LoudSpeakers
Old 11-18-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badhoopty
i think thier k series are beautiful, but that huge scripted font on the cone kills it for me.
You have got to be kidding me? So you're saying you would personally avoid buying the K-line strickly due to the logo? Are you going to hang it over your fireplace? Or listen to it? So I guess this is bland?

Guess I'll take my 30+ inches of one way Xmax, overall shipping weight of 65lbs...... and some of the best SQ money can buy...... and head somewhere else.
Originally Posted by unredeemed
Those bland looking woofers will blow out of the water just about anything you find at 90% of retail stores, with ease! Along with eD there are only a few other brands worth mentioning (in no particular order)

Adire Audio
Image Dynamics
Dayton LoudSpeakers
There you go unredeemed. Beat me to the punch. This SLLOOOW internet is killing me. I can't even download any files without it cutting in and out....

Last edited by firebirdude; 11-18-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unredeemed

Adire Audio
Image Dynamics
Dayton LoudSpeakers

just kinda hesitant because I have never heard of a single one of these brands before
Old 12-15-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

just kinda hesitant because I have never heard of a single one of these brands before

It's a late reply. But name recognition is all about marketing. We know of JL Audio because they have been in the game a long time. Their first W6 was awesome, and really made JL a contender. But their current W6's are just plain overpriced (good but not that good). That name is worth 300% apparently to them and retailers.

Adire, eD, and Dayton rely more on word of mouth in the DIY ring. It's the DIY group of tweakers that move these products to where they are today. When we make a suggestion for features that we want, it happens. RF, JL, or Kicker would probably scoff at a meer mortal telling them that their products need some changes.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't bother with the 2 channel amp. a mono amp is what you need for your 2 subs. one of those subs has 2 voice coils, each coil at 4 ohms. if you have 2 subs like that, you can't wire them to 2 ohms. you need an amp that is 4 ohm stable or 1 ohm stable to do that. don't run your subs at 4 ohms if you don't have to. so if you plan on getting those subs, look for an amp capable of 1 ohm. that's usually more money for an amp capable of that load, so i'd look into either getting just one of those subs, or getting 2 subs of a different type instead, so that you can wire them down to 2 ohms. if you can venture out into getting different subs, go with subs that are either single voice coils with 4 ohms to each voice coil (hence 2 single voice coil 4 ohms will be a 2 ohm load), or go with dual voice coil subs with 2 ohms per coil. then you can wire them to a 2 ohm load.

also, don't waste your time on rear speakers or kicker components. cdt, focals, even jbl components are good components. most of the rest are just not worth it, really. put them in your door, power them well, and be done with mids/highs. get a 2 channel amp to power the front components at around 90 watts or so, and then you'd be set.