Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Worthless Power Window Motors!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worthless Power Window Motors!

Hi, I guess you could call me stupid. My passenger window motor went out so I bought one with a lifetime warranty from ebay and installed it. It worked fine for 2-3 months and my driver side window motor went out, so I ordered one for that side from the same place. A week after I installed the driver window motor, the passenger one went bad. It still works, but it makes a grinding noise and you have to give the window some help sometimes to roll up and down. A week later, the driver's window was doing the same thing. I pulled the door panel thinking it was loose and the gears werent matching up. I pulled the motor off and connected the power to it and it moved around just fine, so I grabbed the gear with two fingers and in certain spots, it made that grinding noise, and everything was connected real tight and looked good on the other side as well. ok, enough with the pointless info.

Lifetime warranty's on ebay power window motors pretty much don't mean ****. I should have put more thought into it, but they know damn well you arent going to pull the motor and put the door panel back on and drive around with your window falling down for a 2 weeks why you exchange it for a new one.

THE POINT OF MY POST:

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD WINDOW MOTOR FOR A DECENT PRICE WITHOUT HAVING TO ORDER IT FROM CHEVY?

I know Auto Zone sells them, but they are like 79 bucks each and I dont even know if they are any good. I know that the motors in these windows go out constantly, but I just wish maybe I could get something that would last more than 2 weeks. More like a year. Anyone with any info on this please respond! THAAAAAAAAAANK YOU! =)
Old 11-19-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mine from Autozone w/lifetime warranty for $49. They should have others than just the $79 one. Good luck
Old 11-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

AutoZone sells two motors. A $50 Seimans with a Lifetime Waranty and a $80 Other Brand with a 1 or 3 year warranty. I recently installed a $50 Seimans motor in my driver's side door. It works like a new factory unit. Some people report it being faster and stronger, but mine is the same as the factory unit when it was new. At least it works now.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-19-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

anybody have any experience with the more pricey window motors from autozone? if they are better than the seimans units i'd glady pay the extra bills.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

A little off topic, but I replaced my driver's side motor a couple of weeks ago and must have put that spring in wrong because it fell off inside the door with the window up. How does that thing go in?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

What spring?
I didn't see any spring in mine.

Here is a thread where I posted some write-ups:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=motor
Old 11-21-2004, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor10.html

It shows it in this picture. When I did it, I just pulled the regulator out instead of drilling holes in my door and in the process, the spring came off. I'll have to pull the regulator out again to get the spring in, I think, but I need to figure out how it was in there in the first place
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of the $80 dollar motors over a year ago,not sure of the brand but I have not had any problems out of it except that it is louder than the factory.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

O that spring.... good luck. It would have been much easier/faster to have drilled the holes (that is how I did it).
Old 11-22-2004, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Does anyone know how this thing goes in?

I had it in before but it wasn't right because it fell off and into the door when I shut it with the window up...