Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Making car quieter - Would I benefit from more sound deadener?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:05 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making car quieter - Would I benefit from more sound deadener?

I have a 2001 SS. Since its a convertible its kind of boomy inside with the top up. Do these cars have much sound deadener in them? I would like to kill some of the exhaust boom from the stock exhaust. Is it worthwhile adding some? What's your favourite inexpensive type.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used some roof insulation, i think its called wind and ice or something like that. it works well and costs MUCH less then dynamat. i only did my trunk and the exhaust noise decreased dramatically. i have alot extra but i dont think its worth shipipng because its heavy as hell. but if you need some and you wanna pay for the shipping, send me a pm and i'll get it out for you. i'm in new york down by the city. but definately check out home depot or any other hardware store. o and if you dont like that idea, try searching up this stuff called brown bread. i heard that stuff works great. just my 2 cents
Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i used some roof insulation, i think its called wind and ice or something like that. it works well and costs MUCH less then dynamat. i only did my trunk and the exhaust noise decreased dramatically. i have alot extra but i dont think its worth shipipng because its heavy as hell. but if you need some and you wanna pay for the shipping, send me a pm and i'll get it out for you. i'm in new york down by the city. but definately check out home depot or any other hardware store. o and if you dont like that idea, try searching up this stuff called brown bread. i heard that stuff works great. just my 2 cents
I have looked at the exact same stuff in Home Depot. I will probably do that. Thanks for the offer but I am sure its cheaper to get locally. I will try to find out what brown bread is.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.b-quiet.com/

try that site. they sell b-quiet, dynamat and that brown bread stuff.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Since weight vs. effectiveness and cost were key factors for me (in that order), I used a combination of the following:

(3) Self-adhesive viscoelastic asphalt sheets from McMaster
.4 lbs/ft^2; DLF: .13; PN:9709T26

<20 ft^2 Peel 'n Seal to mass dampen panels that were very 'live'
about .4 lbs/ft^2

(4) Rolls of duct insulation by Frost King as a decoupler between the cabin floor and the vinyl-backed carpet - very light; .125" THK

<30 ft^2 of barium-loaded vinyl limpid sound barrier (for the back where the carpet is not backed and a lot of exhaust noise must be blocked - .5 lbs/ft^2; STC: 20)

This has worked great for me. My 10" sub is very effective in this environment. The key is really knowing what you want. Do you want to deaden/dampen panels or absorb sound or block sound transmission? I needed to dampen and block, so that's what I did. Cost: less than 30 lbs. Effectiveness: I'd guess more than -6 db.

BTW, Peel 'n Seal is the SAME as other mass dampers out there... and it sticks, does not stink and can be found cheap.

Last edited by Edrummr; 11-29-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did on my truck. I used fatmat on mine and it made a nice difference.