Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lighting System, headlights, dash lights, and interior lights all pulsate - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting System, headlights, dash lights, and interior lights all pulsate - HELP

Hey,

I have had my TA for about 4 months now.

I don't drive it much at night, but when I do, all of the lights pulsate. Headlights, tail-lights, and everything pulsate. When I first startup the car, it is worse then when the car has been running for a few minutes on the road.

By pulsate, I mean darken and lighten. They don't go all the way out, or anywhere near it, just slightly dim and then full strength.

I talked with a friend, and he suggested it may be a grounding wire somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought maybe a new battery, but the more I think about it, I doubt that is the problem.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ods32
Hey,

I have had my TA for about 4 months now.

I don't drive it much at night, but when I do, all of the lights pulsate. Headlights, tail-lights, and everything pulsate. When I first startup the car, it is worse then when the car has been running for a few minutes on the road.

By pulsate, I mean darken and lighten. They don't go all the way out, or anywhere near it, just slightly dim and then full strength.

I talked with a friend, and he suggested it may be a grounding wire somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought maybe a new battery, but the more I think about it, I doubt that is the problem.

Thanks.
Make sure that all of your battery cables are connected tightly and that the alternator is making good ground. I seen the same problem once before on a different type of vehicle and the problem was a ground wires was not connected properly.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Launching!

i have had the same problem with my 99 Z it just does it when i upshift.... and it only happens for a brief second.... anything else i should check?

thanksin advance
Old 12-02-2004, 10:57 PM

my ss does it too, ive checked all greounds, changed the alternator, changed the battery... EVERYTHING!!! and it didnt fix it... damn cars!! lol you just learn to love it
Old 12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Launching!

i recently checked the grounds the other day.... didnt fix it... not going to go as far as changing the alt or battery.... anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v DaN 02
i recently checked the grounds the other day.... didnt fix it... not going to go as far as changing the alt or battery.... anyone have any ideas on this?
Is it possible that you have a small oil leak intermittently dripping on any area's your fanbelt travels through? This could possibly cause momentary slippage. ?????
Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Launching!

hmm, no oil leaks that i see, maybe i need to look into it more, maybe replace the belt ansd see if that helps any at first, thanks for the advice
Old 12-06-2004, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99SS, and mine does the same thing. It must be part of the camaro enigma...
Old 12-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Teching In

i dont think GM ever worked out the querks in any F-body ever. i had a 90 firebird as my first car. one headlight would pop up partially when the AC was on, the lights would go out when they wanted, the tailights would go out and you had to give them "a little tap" ie punch the **** out of them to get them back. the car was in mint shape. mom had a 79 espirit that would stall out whenever, check engine light was forever on, brake warning light would flash (as far as ive heard, it should never do that). had an 81 camaro with a 350 that would go completely dead after you drove it a short while. replaced EVERYTHING and it didnt help at all. after about 15 min, as long as it took someone to come with the tool box, it would start right up every time. now i have an 80 trans am and i had to wire up more and more stuff as i added things, cuz when i'd add neon lights or an msd box, something would mess up. now its just about all rewired, except the instrument panel lights which are on all the time now, regardless of where the headlight switch is.

my opinion, live with it because as much as i love these cars, they're not quite right.