Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XM Tuner, Pioneer or Terk?

Old 12-09-2004, 04:55 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM Tuner, Pioneer or Terk?

I just purchased a Pioneer deh-p7800mp stereo headunit and wish to get XM radio hooked up to it.

I was in circuit city and found a 2 piece Terk system (one is the tuner/antenna, and the other is the adapter to adapt it to my pioneer). I think the pro's of this system are that it is a total of $100, it has a relatively small antenna, and if I have any problems with the unit I can just bring it back to Circuit City (1/2 mile from my house) and get it taken care of.

My other option, is going with the pioneer brand GEX-P910XM tuner and AN91XM antenna. Pro seems to be that it is all pioneer, which may offer some better sound quality or more options then the terk.

Basically I just want to know what you guys think the better option would be given your own experiences/opinions. Would the Terk limit my sound quality/display readouts in any way? I lean towards staying all pioneer, but it is almost double the price and if they are very similar I would rather spend that money on something else.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

The Pioneer one was available at BestBuy and CircuitCity.

EDIT:
I just did some searching and can't find it on either of their sites. I have a 903 (earlier model I think) in my car right now. I bought it over a year ago (almost 2). You dont have to get that antenna specifically either. Any two lead XM antenna will work.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-09-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is a site that I have bought stuff from before:
www.myradiostore.com

Here is a link to the Pioneer unit:
http://www.myradiostore.us/xm-radio-...ex-p910xm.html

They are located in New York too, so It'll get to you quick.

You can use any two wire antenna.
The antenna connections are green and yellow.
Check out this pic for an idea (connections to the right):
http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-546081...81_1819_457581

www.myradiostore.com also sells antennas/adapters/etc

They also sell the the Terk unit and its a adapters, but its only 2 or 3 dollars cheaper.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-09-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:16 PM

What do you guys think is better quality wise?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I dont know about the difference in sound quality or operation but the Pioneer unit with antenna costs $75 more than the Terk Unit and adapter. I'd rather stick with all the same brand, but that isn't a small difference. All I can say is that since you can get (and subsequently return) the Terk unit easily, give it a try. If it doesn't work/sound well, return it and order the Pioneer unit (and antenna). Just talk to XM about swapping from one radio to other before you do it. You need to register the radio's ID with them for it to work completely (there may be some fee/difficulty involved in swapping the radio ID attached to the account -- I dont know). Although you can get Channel 1 (demo channel) without activation. I guess you can hook it up and test it with Channel 1 and decide before activation.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-10-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by VIP1
I dont know about the difference in sound quality or operation but the Pioneer unit with antenna costs $75 more than the Terk Unit and adapter. I'd rather stick with all the same brand, but that isn't a small difference. All I can say is that since you can get (and subsequently return) the Terk unit easily, give it a try. If it doesn't work/sound well, return it and order the Pioneer unit (and antenna). Just talk to XM about swapping from one radio to other before you do it. You need to register the radio's ID with them for it to work completely (there may be some fee/difficulty involved in swapping the radio ID attached to the account -- I dont know). Although you can get Channel 1 (demo channel) without activation. I guess you can hook it up and test it with Channel 1 and decide before activation.
That's not a bad idea. I cannot see a huge difference in sound quality between the two units, and Terk is a pretty good name in sat. equipment/antenna's, so I am leaning towards doing it that way. Basically I guess I am just making sure there is not going to be a sign. sound quality difference, as that is the main reason I am getting the XM radio in the first place. I hate doing things the "cheaper" way only to find out later I should've spent the extra cash and done it the "right" way. For almost twice the money, as you said, I could probably just try it out and see how it works.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I know what you mean about the cheaper route versus the right way.

Let me know how it goes.

Search this Thread