Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear Defroster?!?!?!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Defroster?!?!?!!?!?

Ok, so I just installed a defroster in a factory non-defroster car. Swapped in a new glass hatch (complete with SS spoiler)... added the right switch panel... and popped in a 30A breaker. The defroster light on the HVAC console lights up, but I can't feel any heat being generated by the defrosting wires after several minutes. Anyone have any ideas?

Any of you guys with a factory defroster, how long does it take until the rear window is warm to the touch?

Thanks! I'd rather not track down schematics and go through the entire car following wires if I don't have to...
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never tried touching it to see if its warm, but when its foggy(cold), it takes mine a good while to clear it up.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

Mine actually clears up pretty quick...
Old 12-10-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tonight my window started fogging while sitting in the driveway, so I clicked on the defroster to see if it made any progress. No luck. It didn't even start making lines around the elements... I tried it earlier on a REAL REAL light mist and it cleared that up... my big concern is that I'm moving to ohio and if I get ice stuck to that back window, I'd like that defroster to work to make it easier to scrape the ice off... I guess the next step is to check voltage at the actual defroster...
Old 12-10-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
Tonight my window started fogging while sitting in the driveway, so I clicked on the defroster to see if it made any progress. No luck. It didn't even start making lines around the elements... I tried it earlier on a REAL REAL light mist and it cleared that up... my big concern is that I'm moving to ohio and if I get ice stuck to that back window, I'd like that defroster to work to make it easier to scrape the ice off... I guess the next step is to check voltage at the actual defroster...
if you actually have ice form on the back window, i dont see it clearing that up very quickly at all. any of you northern guys have any input? i dont hae much time to test this here in texas.