Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Guys with XM

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys with XM

Those that are using XM, can you post some pics of where you mounted your antenna, and which antenna you have. Im considering getting the add on for my Pioneer unit and wanted to get some ideas of where to mount the antenna, so it wont look like ****.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PS - I hate XM. Go with Sirius if you can.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is where I mounted my antenna:
(Its in my Formula's wing.)

Old 12-12-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

i don't have pics but i just ran it under the hood. it's not visible and it never drops out.

velocity, why don't you like XM? what kind of music do you listen to?
Old 12-12-2004, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

VIP1, how is your reception with it in that place? I have mine in my trunk above my rear deck mat, and it is constantly cutting in and out of reception.

Thanks

Erik
Old 12-12-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mongoose
i don't have pics but i just ran it under the hood. it's not visible and it never drops out.

velocity, why don't you like XM? what kind of music do you listen to?
I posted this in another thread, so I just copy/pasted it

All I have to say is that I am EXTREMELY disappointed in XM's programming. They don't have any stations that I can listen to for an extended amount of time because after one good song, they'll play one I hate.

Here's a couple examples...

Depending on what kind of mood I am in, the kinds of music I usually listen to is either 80s music, current pop stuff, rap, or hard/classic rock.

XM has a station called "20 on 20" - which is a reloading, interractive countdown on the top 20 songs as voted by listeners. You'd think that this would be really cutting edge, right? Well... it isn't. I can still hear songs like "JoJo - 'leave'" on there... which I heard back in March on my way to Spring Break in Florida. I can turn on my local radio stations and hear fresh, new music. I've learned commercials are a small price to pay for songs I want to hear.

XM's 80's station plays - "the hits you don't remember". Why they don't play the hits that I DO remember baffles me. It's always some lame, real electronic, bad 80's song. Never anything I want to hear. Listen to Sirius's 80's station... it's a world of difference.

XM has no good mix of hard rock/hard classic rock. The "Boneyard" is pretty close, but usually no new songs. It's either old classic rock, or new acid satan rock. Why no mix?

Xm has no good mix of rap/hip-hop. Their "urban" stations are either hip-hop and R&B, or horribly hardcore gangbanging degenerate rap. When I listen to a rap station, I want to hear good beats, good rhythms... the hardcore rap station is just noise and swearing, and "the City" plays far too many slow songs.

How can I have 150 channels at my disposal and not find something I can listen to for longer than 5 minutes at a time???? It's horribly annoying.

I really wish I had gone with Sirius.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Erik 94TransAm
VIP1, how is your reception with it in that place? I have mine in my trunk above my rear deck mat, and it is constantly cutting in and out of reception.
Mine has a magnetic back and I had it stuck to the passenger child anchor point (metal triangle behind rear seat) for a while. I've notice much better reception with it in the wing/hatch. The rear quater panels are metal and I think the glass is coated. That may cause some interference. The hatch/wing is plastic. The signal goes through it like nothing is there.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

where did you all mount the receiver on the inside?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Tuner:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=11356
(ignore the antenna, its in the hatch/wing now)

Display:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=1352

Yeah, I know...I got lazy.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

i bought the delphi skyfi, and i decided to mount it in the airvent. ill take a pic tomorrow when i wake up and post it. just another idea for people to try
Old 12-21-2004, 05:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have mounted alot in the trunk. You wont get AS good of a reception inside but some customers are picky about the outside of their car. If you do make sure that you keep the antenna on a horizonal plane.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

heres where i mounted my receiver. there is still plenty of room to use the cd player still
Attached Thumbnails Guys with XM-xmradio1.jpg   Guys with XM-xmradio2.jpg   Guys with XM-xmradio3.jpg   Guys with XM-xmradio4.jpg  
Old 05-04-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Default XM Position

I have the Roady II and I used the velcro tape to mount my antenna on top of the mirror. The reception is really good there. It's as good as my friends who has his on the outside of his car. The XM radio also has a built in FM Modulatore. I'm still using the factory deck so this works finme for right now. When I upgrade decks I'll just use an aux input. As soon as I get some pics I'll post how I mounted the radio. On some camaros there is a storage space on the lower part of the center console right in front of the ashtray. I actually turned the supplied mounting bracket on an angle and wedge is in there with the rubber slide that was all ready there. It doesn't move and looks like it was made to go there. I will post pics as soon as I can.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I agree with Velocity. I've had XM for a year now, and I'm switching to Sirius when I get my new headunit next week.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the hatch glass, despite the look in the pic it isn't very noticable
Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dustin 98TA
Those that are using XM, can you post some pics of where you mounted your antenna, and which antenna you have. Im considering getting the add on for my Pioneer unit and wanted to get some ideas of where to mount the antenna, so it wont look like ****.
Thanks.
I have had the XM for a couple of years now and I have tried many mounting positions. I dont care what people say if you mount it inside your car even on a metal surface it is going to cut out. I found this position to be the best. For these reasons: You cant see it, its on a metal surface, it NEVER cuts out, and you dont have to worry about someone trying to steal it, or it sliding off your roof at high speeds! Oh yea and you can shut your hatch without the ant. getting in the way!!
Attached Thumbnails Guys with XM-dogs-020.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CompTA
I agree with Velocity. I've had XM for a year now, and I'm switching to Sirius when I get my new headunit next week.
i had xm for four years and just switched to sirius. you won't regret it!

and i mount my antenna under the hood with no problems.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
I found this position to be the best.
Im supprised that you dont have any signal issues with it mounted vertically. If you really want a stealthy place, you can put it in the hatch like I did. Plus it would be mounted horizontally.

Here is where I mounted my antenna:
(Its in my Formula's wing.)

Quick Reply: Guys with XM