Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bypassing the Monsoon amp in a '02 Convertible

Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypassing the Monsoon amp in a '02 Convertible

I just bought a new HU (Kenwood 4028) and 2 new pairs of speakers (Infinity Kappa 652.7i 6-3/4" for the fronts and Infinity Reference 6012si 6-1/2" for the rears). I plan on bypassing the p.o.s. Monsoon amp and running the speakers directly off the HU. I’ve found the following pin-outs for the Monsoon amp: HERE, but it seems that this is for the Coupe, not the Convertible. I’ve read that you can buy a harness that bypasses the amp for the coupe – is there one available for the convertible. Or better yet, does anyone know where to find the wiring diagram so I can just cut the harnesses off the amp and crimp the proper wires together?
Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002OrangeConv
I just bought a new HU (Kenwood 4028) and 2 new pairs of speakers (Infinity Kappa 652.7i 6-3/4" for the fronts and Infinity Reference 6012si 6-1/2" for the rears). I plan on bypassing the p.o.s. Monsoon amp and running the speakers directly off the HU. I’ve found the following pin-outs for the Monsoon amp: HERE, but it seems that this is for the Coupe, not the Convertible. I’ve read that you can buy a harness that bypasses the amp for the coupe – is there one available for the convertible. Or better yet, does anyone know where to find the wiring diagram so I can just cut the harnesses off the amp and crimp the proper wires together?
Thanks,
Rob
Here is the pinout diagram for the convertible amp. Please don't crimp your connections - you'll get better results if you solder and heat-shrink.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Man, you're a life saver! I couldn't find this anywhere. Worked like a charm. This should probably be added to the FAQ. The chart is missing pin F16 though which is the Left Rear quarter negative output Lt GRN/Black. It was pretty difficult to solider back there (sitting in the trunk with the wiring in the spare tire well), so at the recommendation of an electrician friend I used "butt joints?" he said that they are just as good as solider.

On a side note I had to hang up on the guy at Best Buy. I called to ask about a harness and that no-talent *** clown insisted that the coupe and convertable had the same pinouts for the Monsoon amp. I explained to him that the coupe was 10 channel and the convertable only 8 but the douchè told me that I was wrong and that he would know because "he was a car audio expert and knew all about the monsoon system in Camaros" I told him to do a little more research and then transfered him to a dial tone. It makes me glad that I did all the work myself instead of letting a so-called "expert" do it. - well thats it my rant is over.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The information you find in magazines and from experts is usually garbage compared to the internet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bypassing the Monsoon amp in a '02 Convertible