Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help amp won't come on

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 AM
MBB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry help amp won't come on

ok i've been hooking up a amp and sub in a 2003 s-10 truck i have wired everything the way it is in the instructions when i got it all together i cut the engine on and the amp didn't come on so i checked the ground and cut on wire and everything else so heres the deal everything read 12V except the amp power cable and it read 17V and so did my battier whats the deal and why won't my amp come on
Old 06-03-2005, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

YOur amp may have an over voltage protection circuit. If the power is above 14.4 volts it may kick the amp off to avoid over load. You also may have blown a fuse at the amp. Most amps have a 35 amp fuse somehwhere near the 12 volt in on the amp.Why are you running 17 volts? That's pretty much on the edge for most cars electrical systems.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:50 AM
MBB
Teching In

i have no idea why i'm running 17 volts but i went to my neighbors house she has the same truck with the same batteir and hers is 17volts,
New Problem ok i put in a cd and turned it up pretty loud everytime the bass hits the power light come on the amp and pulses with the bass but the sub isn't producing bass so now what ( i am also using a factory head unit and had to wire up a RCA adpator
Old 06-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Launching!

also check to make sure you have the correct wire spliced into for your remote turn on. I did this in my truck before and after about 4hrs of trying to figure it out it was my remote the whole time. A way to can check to see is have your car turned on an get one of those little light pens which have a little clip for the neg and then you touch the tip to positive such as the power source or the remote on the amp itself. If the bulb dims or doesnt light up when you touch the remote you have a problem with the remote. Also the same for the power source. Or you could take a wire and touch between the power and the remote terminal and see if the amp lights up.

Also good to replace the fuses just in case also, on the amp and under the hood if you have one. I had a fuse under the hood blow but it looked fine for some reason.

17v does sound pretty high also, does the amp even light up? Even if it went into protection mode there should still be a light lit on the amp
Old 06-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MBB
i have no idea why i'm running 17 volts but i went to my neighbors house she has the same truck with the same batteir and hers is 17volts,
New Problem ok i put in a cd and turned it up pretty loud everytime the bass hits the power light come on the amp and pulses with the bass but the sub isn't producing bass so now what ( i am also using a factory head unit and had to wire up a RCA adpator
what adapter are you using? I know the PAC adapter tells you splice into the correct remote wire, but i like I said, i hooked into the wrong one. I actually hooked into the same color wire on the adapter itself and not the one in the factory harness like I was suppose to
Old 06-03-2005, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Are you trying to run your amp off the wrong power wire? Did you run a good power wire from your battery and did you ground in a good spot?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:43 PM
MBB
Teching In

i got it, the the guy at radio shack that told me how to hook it up didn't know what he was talking about so i called customer support and got the whole thing worked out it looks great sounds great thanks for all your help!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBB
i got it, the the guy at radio shack that told me how to hook it up didn't know what he was talking about so i called customer support and got the whole thing worked out it looks great sounds great thanks for all your help!
What was the Problem? Experience helps others.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:13 PM
MBB
Teching In

remember the is in a 2003 S-10 4x4, he told me to take my dash speakers out look at the color of the wire find the same wire in the back of my cd player and that would be my out put wires find + - and hook it up like the instructions said out of the 4 wires i hooked in to not a 1 was right so i called PAC (maker of the RCA converter i used) the sevice was great and i had it going within half a hour