Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Big Voltage Drop with AC on?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Voltage Drop with AC on?????

Ok - so it's a nice day and I'm driving my car. Voltage gauge reads over 13.

Bang - it gets hot outside. I kick the air on while running down the road. Voltage doesn't change much. Red light. I stop. Voltage begins to drop SLOWLY down to maybe 12. Green light. I take off and the voltage climbs SLOWLY back up.

Battery & Tensioner are new, like 3 months ago. Alternator is new, like six months ago.

Any guesses?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

In the past 6 months you have replaced the battery, altenator, and the tensioner. Why?

Voltage in terms of your altenator charging is realitive to your rpm. It charges the least at idle.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Pretty normal. The blower motor is the biggest single draw on your electrical. AC comp on + fan on high will cause exactly what you are seeing. I have an Optima, new alternator, and have done the big 3. Normal. Only way to combat it is to get a HO alt that is wound to give good output at idle.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
In the past 6 months you have replaced the battery, altenator, and the tensioner. Why?

Changed the alternator (warranty) a couple weeks after I got the car - lights were flickering (dash lights, headlights, all of them). Dealer diagnosis was bad alternator - they replaced it. Flickering lights were cured.

Was fighting the dealer on some warranty items and had the car checked out by another shop. They spotted a bunch of sprayed on gooey lube on the back of the tensioner (so THAT's where the squeaking is!) and they found the battery to be crap. Armed with my data the dealership caved in a replaced those (along with a bunch of other crap).

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Voltage in terms of your altenator charging is realitive to your rpm. It charges the least at idle.
Yeah, this I know - with the air off it does not drop - not even a little. I only get the drop with the air on.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Pretty normal. The blower motor is the biggest single draw on your electrical. AC comp on + fan on high will cause exactly what you are seeing.
I was afraid of that...don't like to see it drop so far though - the turn signal slows WAY down, too.....Tick.......................Tock........... ...........Tick.......you get the idea

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Only way to combat it is to get a HO alt that is wound to give good output at idle.
Next alternator change I'll look you up and get more info on that

Quick Reply: Big Voltage Drop with AC on?????