Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Stereo & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 07-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default Battery Voltage Gauge Fluctuating...

Ever since buying this car I have noticed that the Battery Voltage Gauge likes to move around a lot. Is this normal? This is what I have noticed:
-Prior to turning the key to start, the voltage gauges reads just a hair over the red area (10V if I had to guess)
-Upon starting and for the first 30M of driving, the gauge reads somewhere around 15V
-After about 30M of driving, the gauge goes to about 13.2V and remains there until I turn her off
*Is the gauge indicating that the alternator is charging the battery for 30M everytime I turn the car on? If so, why would it still try to charge my new Optima Red Top Battery that I bought yesterday? Is this how the stock factory alternator voltage regulator works?

Notes:
-I don't have an aftermarket alarm, amp, stereo, lighting accessories, or any other device to my knowledge that would draw a current when the car is off and cause the battery to be drained.
-12.818sec @ 113.9MPH

Whisper Lid, K&N Breather/Air Filter, Gutted MAF, Mac Headers, O2 Sim, Bassani Exhaust, NGK TR55-IX Plugs, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Optima Red Top, Eibach Springs, BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW Tires, Auto-RX, GC Oil, RP Tranny/Diff, Pioneer DEH-P7700MP, Spider 6.5" 2-Ways, Pioneer 6.5" 4-Ways, Pioneer 6x9 3-Ways, Alphine MRP-F240 40W x 4 @ 4Ohms, Infinity Basslink, Zaino Wax , 5% Tint
sean_pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 8
Send a message via MSN to shouldaboughttheZ

My gauge does the same. I have the OEM alternator. Just changed out the battery couple of months ago.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
65, alternator, battery, car, changed, chevy, fluctuates, fluctuating, flucuate, gage, gauge, guage, plugs, volt, voltage, wires