Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Focal Polykevlar's cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Focal Polykevlar's cutting out

I've got a set of Focal PolyKevlar components up front. Having some issues with them and trying to see if I wired something up wrong, or if something else needs to be done. They are being run of a RF 501S amp and have the internal crossover set to the lowest setting so not much bass is sent to them. I also have the bass setting on my deck set to just below the neutral setting. The problem is when I crank them up, probably not even half way up, they start crackling due to the bass. For some reason, they seem to be able to take a lot more bass when I'm playing a CD as opposed to listening to the radio.

Should this be happening? Would running an inline bass filter, or what ever they are called, alleviate this problem and allow me to play them at higher volumes?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like you need a better crossover, or your amp is clipping them. CD audio is much more accurate then the radio.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

a bass blocker is a simple solution, but might not be the proper one. 2muchrice is the 1 2 ask
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Thats quite an amp for components, i dont know thier power handeling though.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
I've got a set of Focal PolyKevlar components up front. Having some issues with them and trying to see if I wired something up wrong, or if something else needs to be done. They are being run of a RF 501S amp and have the internal crossover set to the lowest setting so not much bass is sent to them. I also have the bass setting on my deck set to just below the neutral setting. The problem is when I crank them up, probably not even half way up, they start crackling due to the bass. For some reason, they seem to be able to take a lot more bass when I'm playing a CD as opposed to listening to the radio.

Should this be happening? Would running an inline bass filter, or what ever they are called, alleviate this problem and allow me to play them at higher volumes?

An inline high pass filter (or cap) is not really the way to go with the amount of power you are using. Your 4 channel amp is capable of 125w RMS into each channel which would be too much for almost any component set. The built in preamp crossover is variable from 50-250 Hz into a 12db roll off. If it was my car I would try to get them to roll off around 70 hz but if your getting distortion on the bass notes you may want to turn it up even more.

It is possible you have a blown speaker. To find out if its a crossover problem, turn the amp CROSSOVER all the way to the right(this should take out all bass and most of the mid bass) and see if you still get distortion. If you still have distortion, back off the gain to about 1/2. If you still getting distortion after all of these things, then you need to check the speakers with an ohm meter to test proper voice coil resistance.

This is all assuming that you are using a pretty good guage wire and all your connections are good.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens.