Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Big issue with Kenwood CD ( EZ 700-SR )

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big issue with Kenwood CD ( EZ 700-SR )

Just bought a Kenwood Ez700SR CD deck for my dodge durango.

Turns out, you cant use the CD player, the radio, the AUX inputs, ANYTHING until you activate a sirius subscription. From then, I guess you have to keep on paying for it to work.

Im so pissed i dont even know what to say. It seems downright illegal to me for something like that. There was no notice about this until I actually opened the box and saw the footnote in the instruction manual. Pretty unreal for a $400 cd player.

I bought online, so now im kinda stuck with it without restocking fees and loosing shipping both ways.

The only thing in ANY add or description for the player...

the EZ-700SR will not operate until you activate your SIRIUS subscription (SIRIUS subscription required to receive the satellite radio signal)

To me that can read either way. Since they put the notice in parenthesis, it looks like they are just talking about Sirius not working. But if you read the first line they make it look like the whole thing.

Anyways, any ideas on how to bypass it? Think Kenwood will have a bypass feature if I call them and bitch enough?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im not sure of a bypass but I have seen that the CD AM/FM works after the initial activation. Even after the service is cancelled.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Im not sure of a bypass but I have seen that the CD AM/FM works after the initial activation. Even after the service is cancelled.
Thanks for the response.

Any idea if the deck has the ability to remain activated if it looses battery power? I guess i could stomach 10 bucks activation and $13 for 1 month.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by atljar
Thanks for the response.

Any idea if the deck has the ability to remain activated if it looses battery power? I guess i could stomach 10 bucks activation and $13 for 1 month.

Thats not the way sat radio works. Simply put, when you call them up and cancel they send out a broadcast to cancel with your id. Your radio/sat tuner picks this up and deactivates the unit. It will remain activated until that cancelation signal is sent. It flashes a chip much like a CMOS so it can hold the memory for a very long time(probably longer then the life of the unit).
Old 08-02-2005, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Cool so the deck functions (other than Sat tuner), after initial activation of Sirius, and cancelation of Sirius will continue to work even if it looses power because it will be permanently stored in a chip. Thanks again
Old 08-02-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by atljar
Cool so the deck functions (other than Sat tuner), after initial activation of Sirius, and cancelation of Sirius will continue to work even if it looses power because it will be permanently stored in a chip. Thanks again

No problem. Good luck on the instal

Quick Reply: Big issue with Kenwood CD ( EZ 700-SR )