Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2000 Alternator - 1 or 3 wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2000 Alternator - 1 or 3 wire?

Removed my stock alternator to replace with a HO one. I only have one wire on the stock harness, but after reading on this forum it seems I should have 3. True? Can someone please confirm I need 1 before I reinstall it?

Thanks!!
- Del
Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the actual stock harness, there should be three wires. There is a single wire held on by a nut in another place on the alternator too.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike3605
On the actual stock harness, there should be three wires. There is a single wire held on by a nut in another place on the alternator too.
Thanks for the help!

I just put it all back together. Also have a bigger power wire piggybacked on my stock wiring (to battery). Cranked the car and I watched my car drop 2 volts during while running for 15 minutes. Went from 14.7 to 12.7 and killed the car after that. I followed the wires from the stock plug back in the loom and only come up with 1 red wire. Why is this? How can I solve this? Did I screw something up?

Many thanks!!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be 2 wires in a Plug on the Back, Plus the Output Wire (the one on the Stud) A red wire and a Black wire.

Sounds like the GND wire has taken a Walk from what you are saying.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richiec77
There should be 2 wires in a Plug on the Back, Plus the Output Wire (the one on the Stud) A red wire and a Black wire.

Sounds like the GND wire has taken a Walk from what you are saying.
So it sounds like I need to find a way to ground the alternator through that harness? Any idea what # prong it is?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, is there a ground wire? I had to replace mine at my work in a hurry and couldn't remember if there was a ground wire that connected to the bolt that goes in to alt from the engine side. I couln't find one but it's probaly stuck in the loom somewhere if there is one. My volts go to high 13s on startup but drop to almost red after awhile and it's a brand new alt. BTW mines an 01, so its single wire.