Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

water is bad..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water is bad..

so i run up on a major rainstorm yesterday and hit a really deep puddle and immediatly my volt meter skyrockets as high as the gauge reads . i pull over for 20 mins and start the car again but did it again. so i tow it home ,let it sit overnight and started it today but it did the same ,its got a new alternator on it so im hoping that it is the problem since it has a warranty anybody have any other suggestions of what it could be? THANKS
Old 08-10-2005, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you got you alternator wet. When you do that it probably gave a false reading. I would let it dry out and then try it again.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Teching In

well i thought about that but i ntoticed when i started the car i noticed as the voltage ran up all the dash lights came on (abs ,airbag,etc.) and the lights got superbright and if you reved it it would get worse.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the voltage regulator is not regulating too well (it's an internal part of the alternator).

Get a real volt meter, hook it up parallel to the battery, and take a reading while playing with the rpms. It should not go above ~ 14.5V or so.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Teching In

alright , ill have to try that, if it is the alt. is no problem because its still under warranty. its only like a month old, but i apreciate the trouble shooting THANKS!!