Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID (Xenon) Wiring Question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question HID (Xenon) Wiring Question?

Hey everyone,
I'm installing a set of HID's in my T/A. Has anyone installed HID's and retained the stock headlight wiring? In other words, remove the stock low beam bulb, and attach the HID ballast directly to the 2 stock wires that ran into the low beam.

As it has been stated, HID's use less juice than stock lights, except during the "startup" when they use a bit more. Will our wiring stand up to the "startup" phase? Lots of folks on other forums are using their stock wiring with good results, but what about an F-body? I'm expecting a lot of people to jump in and say "the stock wiring was not designed for HID's", but does anyone have first hand experience that we can go off of? Any info would be great, thanks!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never had any issues with them.
I bought my kit with T-Byrne... and are working great.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Even though HID's use about 20,000-25,000 volts to "ignite" the xenon gas in the bulb, there is very little amperage; typically less than the current draw of a halogen bulb. It also only lasts for less than a second. Compared to halogens, which are rated anywhere from 55-85 watts, HID's are about 35 watts. The stock wire guage is more than enough.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Eugenio:
Did you install additional relays? I recall the Tbyrne kit came with a pair of relays and "wiring harness" which attaches directly to the batt, or acc terminal?

Or did you just plug them directly into the 2 stock headlight wires with no additional power/ground/relays?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

I heard the relay's need to be used to prevent any type of damage to the stock light switch.. I just read this the other day on one of these forums. The dude said "be forwarned, use the relay" because he didnt and he is now tracing through his car for burnt wires. just my .02
Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM

The relays are used because there isnt enough juice to initially light the HIDs, therefor you attach the relay to the battery to kind of "jump start" it. Trust me I went through this problem with mine, they wont work on fbodies without a relay (well most).
Old 08-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I've got a pretty good idea of how to wire it up now.... it's your basic "relay wiring", but if anyone is interested, here is a diagram: http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hid-...e-filament.gif

Any particular recommendations on what type of relay to go with and where to get it? Thanks again for the replies, good info!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, forreal i aint into no wire tracing especially for burn't wires right now im to busy gezzzzz, let us know on the relay type if any by the way thanks for the diagram tiresmokels1