Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I think I found the best Sub for the stock pair.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I think I found the best Sub for the stock pair.

Check out these subs....

I ordered one for my Explorer but they should work in the T/A as well.

I will check them out and see how they do. On paper they look like a great deal.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=32&cur=USD
Old 08-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look pretty decent. What do you plan on using as a crossover for them?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

hey man, i dont know if you are familiar with elemental designs products or not but i have owned some of their stuff, and its all great, they put out top notch stuff. looks like a good choice.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Jim98TA
They look pretty decent. What do you plan on using as a crossover for them?
Since they are a mid-bass speaker, I would be using the factory wiring since it is already crossed over from the Monsoon amp.

Like I said, I've seen at least 50 different posts asking about replacement speakers for the rear seat mid-bass speakers. Fact is they are a dual voice coil, 2-ohm in the T/A and single voice coil 2-ohm in the camaro which is tough to find in a 6.5" speaker, especially one that isn't an arm and a leg.

Most people end up going back to the dealer and paying an arm and a leg and blowing the speaker again in 6-12 months.

At least this is a new option for people to check out and they aren't that expensive.

I will update this once I get it and see what it can do.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by vodas00ss
hey man, i dont know if you are familiar with elemental designs products or not but i have owned some of their stuff, and its all great, they put out top notch stuff. looks like a good choice.
That's great to hear....

No I hadn't ever heard of them and was a little skeptical, but for $50, it was worth a shot in the Explorer first. If they work out, I'll order another two for the T/A.

Some of their sound deadening material is tempting as well.

We'll see what happens.

If these work out, we might be able to add a sticky up top in this forumn to help out everyone.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they are pricing their stuff to get their name out there. SO far, every one I've talked to or seen on other forums loves these subs for the $$$. Good find.

Hey. Ain't it about time for you to strip a header bolt hole!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

if you look on sounddomain.com on their forum and do a search on elemental design, you will come up with lots of stuff on them espically their subs which are superior to anything you can just go to the best buy and purchase ie. rockford, kicker, ect. That web site you posted up said that the 50 bucks was only good for today only, and that thats 35 bones off the reg. price. So if i were you and thinkin of gettin some for later in the TA, i would get them now if you had the cash flow handy. Im gonna buy some today, just tryin to decide whether i need 2 or 4 ohm.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Richiec77
I believe they are pricing their stuff to get their name out there. SO far, every one I've talked to or seen on other forums loves these subs for the $$$. Good find.

Hey. Ain't it about time for you to strip a header bolt hole!
You aint kidding about the header bolt....

When I was installing my QTP's the other week, I found that I actually have 3 on the driver's side that are fubar'd. Over the winter I'll probably pull the head, have all of the bolt holes drilled and helicoiled and then put a new MLS gasket on along with head and header studs.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by vodas00ss
if you look on sounddomain.com on their forum and do a search on elemental design, you will come up with lots of stuff on them espically their subs which are superior to anything you can just go to the best buy and purchase ie. rockford, kicker, ect. That web site you posted up said that the 50 bucks was only good for today only, and that thats 35 bones off the reg. price. So if i were you and thinkin of gettin some for later in the TA, i would get them now if you had the cash flow handy. Im gonna buy some today, just tryin to decide whether i need 2 or 4 ohm.
I just checked the website today and see that they are still only $50.

If anyone else is considering buying stuff from them, check out the following link...
http://www.edesignaudio.com/forum_discount.php

It gives all of the current specials they have, so just plug in the codes to get additional savings.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Definitely let us know how they sound and what you're using to amplify them. I'll be in the market real soon to replace the blown sail-speakers in my SS.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you just power them with the stock monsoon amp because i wanted to have all my speakers powered by the monsoon amp and buy a seperate amp for subs so im not spending a ton of dough..
Old 08-18-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

it says they are 6.5" will that work since our speakers are oversized? WE have to make a custom bracket for those? I'm tempted to pick them up @ $50

let us know your results
Thanks

Greg
Old 08-18-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

They should fit Diameter wise. If not, an adaptor ABS Ring isn't much. Like $10-15.

The only thing I'm not sure on is the Mounting depth. It is a 3.6" deep speaker. That is cutting it really close. I'm really tempted to get a set to see what they are like. I'm actually dying to see if the Pioneer will work in Sub mode.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok. It's $100 for a Pair. $50 each. Just went to order them and that is what it is. Didn't get a set because I can use $100+shipping costs towards something else. I was hoping they were $50 a pair, because it would be SO worth it even if they didn't pan out. Still looks like a good speaker. A great one at that price.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

So, has anyone heard these yet?
Old 08-20-2005, 02:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I got mine and put it in the Explorer...

THe sub sounds really good... unfortunately, the Explorer factory sub 'box' has a crack in the plastic causing a bad rattle.

I checked the sub out in the T/A. It will mount but will need a 1/2" spacer due to depth concerns. I would definitely check these out especially if you don't want to use a stealthbox or another sub.

Get the dual 4 ohm pair and the Monsoon amp should be able to push em enough to sound fairly better than the factory ones.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

This all good news. Too bad I ordered my RFP4406's last weekend. Oh well hopefully they work out just as good. The price is almost identical.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:44 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by blue01ta
This all good news. Too bad I ordered my RFP4406's last weekend. Oh well hopefully they work out just as good. The price is almost identical.
Well, the nice thing about the EU-700 is that you can order an identical wiring setup as the factory dual-4ohm voice coil. That has always been one of the tough things with finding a replacement when you blew a factory sailpanel 'sub'.

I am probably going to order a pair of them, as well as about 60ft of the sound deadening material for my doors and such. Should make a good difference in the mid range in my car.

I currently have the JL stealthbox and have plenty of low end, but looking for some better mid and high.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car i just bought came with a Kicker Solo Baric 10" L7 and i've got a Phoenix Gold Amp 2500 series pushing it. That offers plent low, mid, and high bass. To be honest i need an external crossover and capacitor now b/c my alt. gauge is dancin when the bass hits. This one 10" sub hits plenty hard enough, it hits harder than the two Pioneers i had in my last car powered by the same amp. If you want bass, that speaker delivers quite nicely!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Like I said, I have a JL audio stealthbox with adequite amount of power going to it so low frequency isn't really an issue. I have the crossover set pretty low as well, I do beleive around 50hz, anything higher and the sub starts to sound crappy as most jl's like to be crossed over pretty low.

Because of this, I have notice that the mids in the car are lacking. I'd like to uppgrade the sailpanel speakers to try and increase the midrange punch and fill in some of the lost frequency.

Thanks for you honest input.