Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone know if new stock head units need programming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know if new stock head units need programming?

I'm trying to get a factory CD player for my family's 02 Impala. I've found good used ones for a decent price. However, I have been told that the radio is programmed with a small piece of the VIN. So if I use a CD player out of another Impala, it will still contain that car's VIN and will not work. I've also been told that NEW headunits program themselves to the vehicle when they are first powered up. Is there anyway to "home" program the new radio? Is it even necessary?

Thanks

PS - Car is an 02 Impala with cassette and no changer.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Junkie

if ya got a fgriend that works at GM they could help you out. I know when I put a new battery in my car it set off the security system on the cd player, the dealership did it for free but they usually charge 30 bucks. hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think the 02's are that advanced. i thought the VIN locking HUs started along with inclusion of XM radio in chevy's.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I called the dealership and they said it would take 45 minutes and cost 85 dollars. A friend of mine used to work for that dealership. I don't know if he still has any ties there.

Is there anyway to do this with HPTuners?

I have read that the VIN coding is a result of radios equipped with the RDS system. 02 F-bodies didn't have it, but other 02 Chevy's did.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

RDS eh? Nice to know that. probably just as secure as the XM chevy vincode stuff, cannot be done by anyone but someone with a Tech2 as i understand it.