Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp repair?

I have an infinity 300x1 amp, but it's not working, don't know why. Anyone know of any cheap places that repair amps? I dont mind having it shipped for a good price and quality.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

MTX had a flat rate for repairs, about $75 plus shipping I think. This being a number of years back.

You should contact Infinity to see if they offer something like that? Sometimes they just give you a "new," amp from the B-stock, which then renew's your warranty.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the time, a soldering iron, and a voltmeter, there's not a lot to fixing an amp yourself. A lot of times it will be obvious what's wrong, you'll see something blackened on the pcb. Replace that and you're usually good. Other time you'll actually have to get in and measure resistance. The most expensive part inside most amps is one of the several mosfet transistors, and you can pick those up for like $1.75 a piece.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here locally in Austin we have a great repair place. They will either fix it there or ship it out for you. My advice would be to contact a local stereo shop (NOT circuit city, best buy, etc) but a REAL stereo place that does custom work, etc. Ask them where locally can do it. I'm sure there will be someone that can do it.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

gotta guy who fixed one of mine, out in New Mexico. KB Audio, check them out, owners name is Sergey. They are busy as hell so good luck, email or phone them, kbaudio.com i think