Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator wire upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator wire upgrade

OK I have already searched. I am trying to upgrade the "big 3" in my system, however looking at my alternator I only see a signal wire for the regulator and a ground wire to the battery. What am I missing? Where is the alternator + wire to the battery?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Oh fk, now I feel like an idiot. Why oh why did GM run a BLACK wire from the alt to the battery + terminal? WTF? I think this should be added to the FAQ.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto that, I wondered the same thing a few weeks ago when I did the "big 3" and a HO alternator. I ran clear 4ga from battery to alt. 4ga black for alt to engine. 0ga for my battery to chassis. ALso have a 0ga for positive to dist. block.

Here's a pic before I did the "big 3" and a HO alternator. I used more Stinger stuff when I did the big 3 to make it look nice.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've thought about doing this but what kind of improvements could I expect to see? Would it have any benefit? I now have a yellow top Optima and a 700w amp with 2 12"s. I'm sure there are others that want to know the same thing. Maybe we can get a good amount of info and combine it into a clean thread and Sticky it. This is what I did with the Monsoon system. It stoped a lot of the same repeating questions.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

It improved the headlight dimming some. I can turn it up a little louder b4 I look like a police car w/ flashing healights. That's the only improvement I can detect.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess it would also prolong the alt and batt life since it is getting better flow and there's less resistance. I think I'll try this this weekend. I know a friend who it will help greatly on since he's pushing 1500 watts through his whole system and he's got bad alternator whine with his aftermarket HU.

Infinite:
Where did you get those top post connectors? I need to find some that have a good connection, like gold plated or something. I don't want those cheap ones you can buy at the auto store. I want the competition stereo quality.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

You can check local stereo shops or Cicuit City/Best Buy, they should have exactly what you need. If you still have a side post battery they should have an adapter to that too.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6WRX
You can check local stereo shops or Cicuit City/Best Buy, they should have exactly what you need. If you still have a side post battery they should have an adapter to that too.
I think I'll be good. I have a yellow Optima. How many feet of 4ga. did you use. I think I could buy it at Advance Auto for cheaper and ad my discount to it.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I used left overs from some amp install kits that I had, I probably used 10ft or more.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those Top posts, try Walmart. Suprisingly, they carry some decint stuff for cheap.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
Infinite:
Where did you get those top post connectors? I need to find some that have a good connection, like gold plated or something. I don't want those cheap ones you can buy at the auto store. I want the competition stereo quality.
I'll PM you where I got mine. They'll have EVERYTHING you'd ever need to wire up amps. I've purchased everything Stinger from there for my system and will continue to do so. good prices, good customer service, plus everything is Stinger.

I've since installed my stock alternator back on the car (got a faulty HO alt) with teh BIG 3 upgrade. I can't tell any difference with and without the upgrade. I'm looking forward to getting another HO, that made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in headlight dimming.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

is it worth upgrading the alt wire with a stock alt?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

DEFINITELY can't hurt. I'd still do it, it's gotta help some! I used 4ga BTW.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
is it worth upgrading the alt wire with a stock alt?
Yes it is. For a Newer car it's not worth as much, but on older cars, or those in High Salt, Dry area's, corrosion can build up to the point that resistance increases alot.

Usually, you'll gain 0.1-0.4 Volts output. It becomes more important also when you increase the draw upon the wire. Then the smaller ga. wire can increase resistance due to heat build up.

Ideally, you'll want the shortest, Largest Ga. wire you can reasonably afford. Then get Gold plated connector so they can't oxidize and increase resistance. Then get the connectors Crimped on AND Soldered. Then heat shrink them for the best weather resistance.

I'm looking at what it would cost to make assembled kits made in this manner for our cars. I'm running it past another Mod and then the owners to see what we can arrange. I'm a fan of paying the right price for the right equipment. I hate over priced crap.

Also increasing the conductivity of the Chassis Ground, helps with dimming and decreases line loss. This is why the big 3 is a very worth while modification that is actually easy to do. Making the proper connection is sometimes hard to do becuase of the tools needed to make the crimp and then to solder it.

Last edited by Richiec77; 10-01-2005 at 06:24 PM.