Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My experience with Subthump.com's amp rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Subthump.com's amp rack

I purchased Subthump.com's amp rack and stealth box because I wanted a clean look and still have the option of storing my T-tops.

The rack didn't even coming with a single screw. I had to buy everything myself.

The directions they gave me on how to install the rack were on some guy's cardomain site.

This dude used what looks like an old table top to secure the rack. And I don't know about anyone else, but it looks like he made it in his high school shop class that morning.

So now I have no hardware and no clear instructions. So me and a friend just kinda winged it and luckily we got it to work.

So if anybody knows anyone over there at Subthump.com, please advise them to include 2 blocks of wood, 2 L brackets, 2 straight brackets, and 4 3" screws with their amp rack, and they will have more happy customers.

And about being able to store the tops, yea you can, but you can't use your sub at the same time. The tops sit too close to the sub so with every bass hit the sub would strike the T-top panel.

All-in-all it turned out great and I would recomened this amp rack but be prepared to MacGyver the hell out of it.

Click here for pictures.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up.

Seems like I'm better off just making something custom. A bit more time consuming, but probably just as good of a result.

For $75 or $85, I would expect it to come with all the necessary hardware to mount.

I wonder if the JL and MTX boxes also have such tight clearances between the sub and ttop....
Old 08-26-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How long ago did you order your subthump box? I had the same problem with the fitment in mine and ended up sending it back. Steve (subthump owner) changed the design based on some measurements I took and ended up cutting about an inch off the back of the box. Now I have a lot more space between the sub and the t-tops. Box volume only went down about 0.02 cubic feet. Steve said that he would incorporate the design change into all the new boxes. This was about 18 months ago maybe???
Old 08-26-2005, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

i ordered my subthump box a few months ago and i have barely enough to play my sub with the t-tops off.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Barely enough what?
Old 08-27-2005, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

even with the extra space ... looks like you would have a problem with a sub's massive xmax
Old 08-27-2005, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

I purchased the box not too long ago, less then a month. I haven't tried the system with the tops off yet, but just from the look of it I know it's not going to work.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

The JL stealthbox (fiberglass one) comes with a metal grill, so that is not a problem.

I have a similar amp rack, took about 2 hours, cost was $15 with carpet. Works great. I've made a couple of them now for various cars.

Ryan

Quick Reply: My experience with Subthump.com's amp rack