Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need some help picking out some good speakers (6.5's and 12's) plus a good amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Need some help picking out some good speakers (6.5's and 12's) plus a good amp

What are some of the best 6.5 speakers to go with? Any brand that I should go with, I need four 6.5's.

I need two 12's and not even sure who I should go with? Or one 12 if it can give as much bass as two 12's. Anyone use a 12" Phoenix Gold Ti12D Elite?
Theres so many...Phoenix Gold, Kicker, JL, alumapro ect.
A local shop out here is telling me to go with Alumapro but have never heard of them?

With four 6.5's and two 12's should I get one big amp or two amps and what brand? Its been years since I have looked into car audio so I dont know where to start? I mainly listen to rap and rock if that helps any

Thanks

Last edited by WICKED SS; 09-04-2005 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aluma pro subs jam, sound clean, everything...why not rock a alumapro 10 in a subthump box believe me itll hammer, as for amps, i like kicker amps,memphis,jl,eclipse about 100 decent brands, kicker has a badass 5 channel that works well, i like memphis,high end alpine or polk on 6.5s....

J
Old 09-04-2005, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

there's a lot of decent brands. you could visit many shops and get demo's on everything you can, then pick what you like.
i'd try and find a treo dealer down there and get 2 tsx 12's in a ported, power them off a us amps md-1, run some crystal sscs or DLS r6 for your highs with their own amp to power them. you will be very, very loud, clear, and clean. you will put most everybody in their place with that set up and it is reasonable in price.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

We need to know what price range you're looking at. That makes a huge difference. Even a ballpark guess would be better then nothing. A nice set of 6.5" components, 6.5"s for the sails, two 12"s and two amps could easily run you $1500 without a box. You ok with that? No? Or could you part with maybe $2k?

EDIT: Oh and from the looks of your avatar, you're into rap. So I recommend two nice 12"s for that bump you're no doubt looking for.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Teching In

i would go for zapco and treo and mbquart. but there are many different types and brands. alumapro does pound but i would not get them if you wanted to play rap all the time. us amps, matts, zapco, audison, mcintosh all wonderful amps then subs:treo, image dynamics, matts, focal, resonant engineering. highs: mb quart, boston. there a lot of good brands but you have to demo what you want and if you are putting them in a camaro you should not need 12s to get the soundd you want 10s should be able to do everything you want with the right install.
BUT like someone had said previously you need to to have a ceiling as far as price.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly. All of the companies treydeez has mentioned are pretty high end. But you will most likely spend MORE then the numbers I quoted if you go with these companies. It's all about the all mighty dollar...
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it was my car I would get MB Quarts. ( I do run them in my car)
I dont like the sound of aluma pros but your are your own person.
Go to that shop and ask the sales man if you can hear some.
Listen to some other shops/brands for reference.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

I've always liked Alpine speakers and equipment. They are reasonably priced if you purchase them from someone on ebay and deliver really good sound. JL Audio also makes really good subs, not the best on the earth, but for the money I think they would be the best. They're mass marketed enough that you can get them for a good price on ebay or some other deep discount online dealer.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

well this weekend I am going to Reno and my friend know the owner of some shop out there. He did my dads system in his 05 Lincoln LS V8 with stock deck, Boston Acoustics highs and mids, 2 alpine amps, and 3 alpine 10's for $1,000 installed! So I am going with something simular but 2 12's and maybe a Kenwood EZ500 CD player. Is there something that I should look for in a CD player to make sure it can keep up with the rest of the system? I dont need anything special just a CD player that will play CDR's, I dont need satellite radio.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

A deck with higher voltage RCA outputs would help... the Clarion I own has 4v outputs... I think the standard output is 1.5v
Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zorrander
I think the standard output is 1.5v
Not anymore. 4V is probably the most common voltage output for headunits......2.5V on the cheaper ones. But it's no thing to find a $300 Kenwood or Panasonic with 5V on the RCAs.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

That's cool... the Clarion I got was top of the line about 3 years ago... but it's little better than mid-range now. It still produces some nice tunes though