Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Interior Lights (courtesy lights?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior Lights (courtesy lights?)

I want/need to eliminate this courtesy(sp?) lights, they just don't do it for me.. So far i pulled out the bulb of the rear light, but i would rather do something so they don't turn on instead of pulling them out..

Is there anyway to do this? i can't find my user manual... So any help is appreciated...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Odd request - I can't imagine why you would want to eliminate the courtesy lights but it's your car.

The simplest way is to remove the COURTESY fuse in the fuse panel. The only problem is that I'm not sure if there might be some other minor circuits supplied by that fuse so you'd want to check that other things you want to keep aren't affected. For example, your mirror map lights wouldn't work even with the switches.

The sure way to disable the courtesy lights without affecting anything else is to disconnect the white wire in position D1 of the 32-pin blue connector at the BCM (it's the only all white wire in that connector). This is the ground return for the courtesy lights and is how the BCM controls them. The best way would be to use a small pointed tool to unlock and remove the pin from the connector and then tape it up to prevent shorts. That would allow you to put it back to stock later by just re-inserting the pin. The advantage is that nothing except the courtesy lights would be affected (even the map lights would still work through the switches).
Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 AM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man, really appreciate it..

courtesy lights are ok, but they should turn off after a while, i keep my hatch open at some cases for long periods and the damn lights don't turn off..
Old 09-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Then it would seem that there is something wrong with your car. Our cars have a "safety" feature that prevents battery discharge by turning off the interior lights after about 10 minutes if a door is left open. Try it yourself - get out of the car and leave the driver's door open (but leave the hatch closed) then see if the lights go off after about 10 minutes.

Why not just unplug the 3-pin (2 wire) connector with the orange with black and black wires in the back near the hatch lid latch so that the system wouldn't know when the hatch was open? That way everything, including the courtesy lights, would still work normally except that the lights wouldn't go on when you open the hatch. The only disadvantage would be that the hatch ajar indicator light wouldn't work and the alarm system wouldn't know if the hatch was opened (the shock sensor should take care of that anyway).