Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Enclosed or Exposed 6.5" Components

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed or Exposed 6.5" Components

I'm building two small speaker mounts for a pair of Polk 6.5 Components. They are rated for 100W RMS, 300W Peak. The speaker mounts are going to be fiberglass and they are going to replace the lower corner of the door panel. I've built the molds to articulate the speaker toward your head rather than to your feet. I'm trying to decide whether it would be better for it to be open in the back exposing the speaker to the door frame or to be a sealed (or vented?) enclosure. The manual that came with the speakers says nothing about enclosure volumes and I'm worried that if I do enclose them that they won't perform well. If someone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Tim
Old 10-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Teching In

ttt, anyone have any advice?
Old 10-03-2005, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Probably free air speakers. Putting them in a box will raise the qtc through the roof and your bass/mid-bass will suffer as a result. I have fiberglassed enclosures like that but left a false floor at the bottom half of the crecent/box. This will give excellent rain/dirt protection, give you a place to mount them, and still retain good sound.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Couldn't have said that better myself. Allmost ALL of your car audio speakers, not subs, are made to be free-air mounted. You would need atleast a cubic foot if you were to enclose them or you would loose ALL your midbass...
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Alright, thanks guys. That's what I needed to know.