Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker replacement question(damn monsoon)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speaker replacement question(damn monsoon)

Yes Ive searched through very informative posts but I guess all that info only served to confuse me more on what would be the best option for me. I have the Monsoon 6 speaker system. The two front speakers need replacement. It is to my understanding that replacing these speakers is a pain in the *** because of compatibility. The thing is, I have a very nice aftermarket deck, a Clarion DXZ945MP. If I plan on upgrading my headunit, can i use any speaker type i want? Or do I have to rewire or change something else? Would I have to remove this fabled monsoon amp? Im on overload here people.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice HU......but I believe you'll want either a set of 4ohm comps or coaxials, depending on preference/budget. DEFINITELY rewire them, as I believe the OEM wiring is only 24 ga. Monsoon system sux IMO and the biggest problem I found is that ppl overboost the EQ settings, and blow the speakers.

Afterall they do say "Made in Mexico"

With that Clarion unit, I wouldn't go cheap on a set of front speakers. There aren't too many interchangeable speakers that will easily fit into the existing speaker locations. Most everyone I know had to fabricate/modify their existing doors to accomodate an aftermarket set, but the LS1 experts can better advise you on your options.

Good luck, as I have custom 3/4" MDF pods that fasten to the door, and speakers screw into the MDF. Barely enough clearance to put the panel back on, but it works. I have a pic on my website (pg 1), but they are covered w/dynamat. If you look at close up, you'll see what I am talking about.

Last edited by Firehawk526; 09-13-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not looking to add any speakers nor do I want to have to rewire....I dont want to imagine the costs. I basiclly just want to go with a new deck and new compatible speakers.

If I do have to rewire, anyone know how much I might be looking at?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rewire the thing yourself... it's not rocket science, just time consuming.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Find your output leads on the monsoon amp and run 4 sets of 16gauge to the radio everything else is behind the radio, pwr,ign,grnd. Keep the amp disconnected you wont need it anymore and also make sure its unplugged before popping any speakers, by that i mean using a 9v battery to verify speaker, you will need a meter to find these, looking for around a 2 ohm load. Once you got that use your battery. You will also need correct phase pos or neg. to do this you will have to see the speaker in the way it moves. 8 sets total , 2 in hatch area, 2 rear seat speakers, 2 front doors , 2 front door tweeters. If you go with new door speakers i wouldn't worry about finding the tweeter wires just find your mids.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whisper
Yes Ive searched through very informative posts but I guess all that info only served to confuse me more on what would be the best option for me. I have the Monsoon 6 speaker system. The two front speakers need replacement. It is to my understanding that replacing these speakers is a pain in the *** because of compatibility. The thing is, I have a very nice aftermarket deck, a Clarion DXZ945MP. If I plan on upgrading my headunit, can i use any speaker type i want? Or do I have to rewire or change something else? Would I have to remove this fabled monsoon amp? Im on overload here people.

If you are going to change the speakers and the deck you should bypass the amp otherwise your new speakers will be half as loud as the factory speakers. If you keep the factory speakers you can just wire the deck in and use the monsoon amp. You don't need to change the factory wiring unless you are going to run a huge amp on your highs. Big speaker wire for the most part is just a way to seperate you from your money.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so here is what I have decided and am wondering if I can do. I want to replace the front speakers that are blown with the recomended AlpineSPS. I still want to use the aftermarket Clarion deck I have, but can only afford to replace the front speakers. Can I run the Clarion to the monsoon amp and just keep the other old 4 speakers until I can afford to replace them all(including the monsoon amp?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, you can
Old 09-20-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would I have to worry about the Clarion DXZ945mp Im putting in blowing the seakers Im leaving in...or the new Alpines im putting in if I wire it up to the monsoon? The CD player is rated at 53 watts per channel.