Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No amp?

1998 TA

Man,
What a long day, I finally found a stock deck replacement (it had no radio when I bought it). I spent about an hour splicing all the wires that were cut to the plugs. The radio turns on and gets stations, the antena comes up, and the steering wheel controls work, but no sound what so ever. Moving to the trunk, WHAT A MESS. Every wire, that Im assuming went to the amp, was cut! I know nothing about stereo systems, so I Don't really know what to do... Is there a plug replacement I can buy thats color coded for the stock amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Also If anyone has the stock amp they would sell me cheap PM me, My friend had a 1997 camaro completly stock and it sounded good, and thats good enough for me.

Thanks JD
Old 09-14-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDJP
1998 TA

Man,
What a long day, I finally found a stock deck replacement (it had no radio when I bought it). I spent about an hour splicing all the wires that were cut to the plugs. The radio turns on and gets stations, the antena comes up, and the steering wheel controls work, but no sound what so ever. Moving to the trunk, WHAT A MESS. Every wire, that Im assuming went to the amp, was cut! I know nothing about stereo systems, so I Don't really know what to do... Is there a plug replacement I can buy thats color coded for the stock amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Also If anyone has the stock amp they would sell me cheap PM me, My friend had a 1997 camaro completly stock and it sounded good, and thats good enough for me.

Thanks JD
The input colors from the factory deck are

right front light green /dark green
left front tan/ grey
right rear blue/ light blue
left rear brown/ yellow

I don't have the output wire colors memorized, but you can find them with a multi meter and a battery.

good luck I hope that helps
Old 09-15-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a plug that goes into the the amp? And if I connected the light green and dark green wires without the amp, wouldn't I be able to hear something out of the right front speaker, or do i need the amp?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I can tell you from experience (a few days ago myself) if you have 2 ohm speakers in parallel with 4 ohm speakers, the sound don't work either. . . . .
Old 09-16-2005, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDJP
Is there a plug that goes into the the amp? And if I connected the light green and dark green wires without the amp, wouldn't I be able to hear something out of the right front speaker, or do i need the amp?
If find the speaker wires on the amp and connect them to the color wires I posted above you will get sound. Just don't connect the subs in the sail panels. From time to time I have seen amps on ebay you always try that.