Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Opinions on Jensen in-dash dvd...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinions on Jensen in-dash dvd...

Anyone have this unit:

Seems like a great deal here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I want an in-dash DVD player with tv tuner but I also want it to play radio.

The listing doesn't mentin FM (that I see) but the picture shows it.

Anyone know if this is a decent (I say decent, I know Jensen is usually crap) head unit?

It's EXACTLY what I want to spend (nothing too far over $500, anything over that is better spent on other things).

Is it a good buy? Is there another unit I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spend another few hun and dont be disapointed, PIONEER and JVC make some decent ones. I sell and install these all day long and I'll tell u that the mechanical motor goes out on these like no other.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Banned

Unless I find a used model in the brands you mentioned I'll have to stick with the stocker.

You say you sell them though? What's the cheapest you could sell me a Jensen for? Do they have a warranty from Jensen that fixes the motor?

Oh, does this Jensen have an FM tuner?

Thanks for the honest reply, I appreciate it!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

heres the problem with the jensen units warranty........... there is a cage around the radio which u usually use to secure the radio into a dash/dashkit. NOW, jensen has their VOID WARRANTY IF SEAL IS BROKEN seal on the outside of the radio chasis. The problem comes when u remove the radio cage and it rips through the VOID WARRANTY Seal. Therefore a brand new unit has NO warranty
Old 09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

BASTARDS !

What do you think about this unit:

I thought it would match the Cobalt gauges, not block the air vents, and I could just add a LCD screen.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4020.html#
Old 09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

much better choice than jensen. the steamy terd my dog left in the front yard is better than jensen.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

yea that jvc deck is pretty sick, i would definitly buy that over the jensen anyday.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

hey ultraz ive heard that there is some sort of safety thing or somethiung like thatn on flipouts like that jensen. where you cant watch dvds while your car is in motion. if this is true and since your a seller/installer what can i do to bypass this system so i can run dvds while driving. my friend is fixing to put one in his 2500 hd and wants to know how to do this. any help is appreciated.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSfast1
hey ultraz ive heard that there is some sort of safety thing or somethiung like thatn on flipouts like that jensen. where you cant watch dvds while your car is in motion. if this is true and since your a seller/installer what can i do to bypass this system so i can run dvds while driving. my friend is fixing to put one in his 2500 hd and wants to know how to do this. any help is appreciated.
Most units you will be able to take the park brake wire and attach it to a ground and be fine. I know with alpine you have to at least use one switch and go to your brake wire.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSfast1
well, the jensens are meant to be hooked up to the parking brake switch which shows a ground when engaged. THEREFORE if u hook the parking brake wire in a jensen to the ground wire, it will allow all functions to be available.

ALPINE units on the other hand, ALSO need a negative signal, BUT need to see the change in voltage which means it has to see a voltage go through it then switch to ground. an easy way to do it is HOOk it up to ground like u would normally and put an actual 2 way switch in between. then when u want to watch movies and such , just hit the switch up and down once and it will work.

THe newer pioneer nav units use VSS (Vehicle SPeed Sensor) wire along with the built in gyro to sense vehicle motion so its a little trickier to make them work and U WILL LOSE SOME FUNCTIONS IN ALLOWING VIDEO CONSTANTLY THROUGH IT, such as the built in G-Meter and speedo.

BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOPE THis helps
Old 09-24-2005, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ultraz
well, the jensens are meant to be hooked up to the parking brake switch which shows a ground when engaged. THEREFORE if u hook the parking brake wire in a jensen to the ground wire, it will allow all functions to be available.
sounds easy enough. thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

I'd save up and wait to get a better headunit. I bought a Clarion 7" touchscreen one two years ago and I can't tell you how much I love it. I don't regret waiting to get the one I wanted for one second.

Here's a quick video of it. Sorry but the screen is dirty from me touching it.

Right Click Save As (7.83MB) Hosted by FBodyVideo.com

Screen Shots:
Old 09-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I'd save up and wait to get a better headunit. I bought a Clarion 7" touchscreen one two years ago and I can't tell you how much I love it. I don't regret waiting to get the one I wanted for one second.

Here's a quick video of it. Sorry but the screen is dirty from me touching it.

Right Click Save As (7.83MB) Hosted by FBodyVideo.com

Screen Shots:
thats bad ***, Does it have dual inputs? so you can display from another source on the LCD?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

If you do decide to buy a jensen go through a local shop that way if something happens they will have no problem swapping it out for you. I've installed at least
10 of these things and never seen one come back for repair. Not to bad of a picture either. We sell the jensen for the people that dont wanna spend 1500 or so for an alpine or eclipse. If anything does ever happen they might have you pay for shipping costs but thats about it. Every store is different so you might want to do some shopping around.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vax
thats bad ***, Does it have dual inputs? so you can display from another source on the LCD?
Yeah, I use to have a second screen in the passanger's sunvisor. I would have a PS2 running on that with a DVD running on the main screen at the same time. I love it, I use to be huge into car audio and it was always fun to see my headunit in all the car audio magazine's buildups. Just proved to me I made the right choice.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Yeah, I use to have a second screen in the passanger's sunvisor. I would have a PS2 running on that with a DVD running on the main screen at the same time. I love it, I use to be huge into car audio and it was always fun to see my headunit in all the car audio magazine's buildups. Just proved to me I made the right choice.
The thing i liked about that clarion was the fact you could take the face off, nice. I think clarion was the first to have that feature and also a display when the screen was closed. What is that a 935, 45?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

Very cool! Thanks for posting that link ! I like your radio install kit. I plan to get one made by the same people.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I personally wouldnt get a Jensen. If you MUST make sure you get a warranty with it.

I recommend pioneer. You pay may more for it but it will last.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Jensen is pretty much low end junk. Their speakers and amps are ok for someone who just wants to replace some OEM stuff, but I wouldn't get anything like this DVD system.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02NBMSLPSS
The thing i liked about that clarion was the fact you could take the face off, nice. I think clarion was the first to have that feature and also a display when the screen was closed. What is that a 935, 45?
That's why I bought it, all the rest of them didn't have a screen when it was closed and let's be honest that's the way it normally is. Plus I love being able to remove the face plate, at the time you simply couldn't find any with that feature.
It's the 935, I bought it before the 45 came out. In fact I bought it about a week after it came out so I was one of the first with it.

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Very cool! Thanks for posting that link ! I like your radio install kit. I plan to get one made by the same people.
Thanks, I LOVE it. It should beats all the the standard one's you find.