Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

93-96 bose systems in camaro's

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93-96 bose systems in camaro's

Since I'm prolly gonna have my bro's 95 z28, can an after market amp be hooked up to the radio using high level inputs. Does the radio have signal wires that can used like that? Being that each of the speakers have there own amp. Will that and aftermarket speakers work well with the factory bose radio? I'm thinking of a setup, where I would make the speaker holes over the back seats bigger so I can have 8" subs, and components up front, and I would get one of those plastic peices that goes in the corner of the door next to the mirrors. BTW where can I find those things? I dont want an after market radio, A clean and stock look is better than anything else
Old 09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, you can't connect the radio output to a high-level input amp on a Bose system the way you can on a Monsoon system. The Bose system is has low-level output to the amps mounted on each speaker. You can add subwoofers to the system by tapping into the low-level output of the radio and providing an additional amp but I wouldn't replace the factory speakers with aftermarket ones. The Bose speakers are specially matched in both output and frequency response for the interior of your car. Also, they are some weird impedance rating (like 16 ohm or something).
Old 09-28-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about splicing the wires from the radio and also slicing in into some RCA plugs and hooking up the two together? I'd hate to ruin the perfect look of the interior with a aftermarket radio.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Eh, crap. What do you think about how they sound? They sound good to me for a factory system but they lack clarity, because of no tweeters.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can keep the Bose head unit and replace all the speakers (plus add an amp) to keep the factory look. You have to get an amp that can accept balanced line input or add a balanced line receiver in front of the amp for it to work properly.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Show me.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Josh_101
Show me.
??? Show you what? I have a Monsoon system in my car so I can't post pictures or anything.

I did a little searching and was unable to find a car amp that has balanced input (or at least that lists it in their specs). Lots of home audio systems use balanced input but Bose may be one of the very few that use it in car audio. What you're looking for is an amp that has the three-wire XLR-type connector for input.

Maybe you might consider picking up one of the Monsoon head units that are always being sold on this board. You can usually get one pretty cheap, it will look factory installed, and you'll have a lot more options for upgrading the rest of the system.

Quick Reply: 93-96 bose systems in camaro's