Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Arching? Amp not working.. what the..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Arching? Amp not working.. what the..?

So i am listing my amp on ebay as not working, because I thought it wasn't... here is what is happening to it

Phoenix Gold XS6600
Totally all of a sudden, I turn on my car like every other day, and the sound is horrible! Faint and absolutely horrid. I look at amp, power light is off, two fuses out of the four are blown. I replace them, they immediately blow. Someone on eBay gives me this message:

YOUR WIRING FOR YOUR SYSTEM IS ARCING SOMEWHERE IN THE LINE. PROBABLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE AMP ITSELF. ARCING OCCURS WHEN YOU USE TO LIGHT OF A WIRE FOR YOUR AMP. OLDER PHEONIX GOLD AMPS WERE HIGHLY UNDERATED SO IF YOUR NOT USING THE LOWEST GAUGE WIRE YOUR AMP WILL EXCEPT (PROBABLY 4 GAUGE) GOING TO THE AMP, THEN THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM..CHECK YOUR WIRING GOING TO AND FROM YOUR AMP, AND LOOK FOR ANY CRACKS OR MELTED SPOTS IN THE CABLE, THAT IS WERE IT WILL BE ARCING FROM. USUALLY THIS HAPPENS IN THE DOOR JAMS.. DONT PUT A NEW AMP ON UNTIL YOU CHECK THIS OR IT WILL HAPPEN TO THE NEW ONE AS WELL.. JUST A LITTLE INSIGHT FROM A PRO USING OLDER PHEONIX GOLD AMPS. 167.9 DB OUT OF 4 CERWIN VEGA STROKERS AND (4) 2 CHANNEL HIGH POWER AMPS..
NEWER PHEONIX GOLD AMPS ARE NOT THE SAME AS THEY USED TO BE. THEY KINDA SUCK. DONT USE EM...

Besides being in CAPSLOCK omg... is he right? Im looking at the wire in the door jamb and it looks fine? Is there something else I should check?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That or your power cable is grounding out somewhere but i dunno if that would explain the horrid sound?

Quick Reply: Arching? Amp not working.. what the..?