Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

how many speakers w/ monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how many speakers w/ monsoon?

how many speakers does a 01 z28 with a monsoon cd have? i looked in the owners manual and it said 8. i only have 4. 2 in the door, 2 in the hatch, and 2 were removed from the back seat. where would the other 2 be located? i already did a search and couldn't come up with the info i was looking for.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/303776-frequently-asked-questions.html
Old 09-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

The two in the doors are two ways coaxials that are crossed over by the amp and wired seperately. GM calls this four fronts. The speakers in the "B"pillars, just behind the front seats are your bass speakers and are dual voice coil units, the hatch speakers in the rear side panels each house a 3.5 mid range speaker for rear fill. This is what a monsoon 200 is. The Pontaics have a Monsson 500 wich gives you two completely seperates in each door, dual voice coil bass speakers in the "b"pillars, and a 3.5 and a seperate tweeter in each rear side hatch panels.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by toddztoyz
The two in the doors are two ways coaxials that are crossed over by the amp and wired seperately. GM calls this four fronts. The speakers in the "B"pillars, just behind the front seats are your bass speakers and are dual voice coil units, the hatch speakers in the rear side panels each house a 3.5 mid range speaker for rear fill. This is what a monsoon 200 is. The Pontaics have a Monsson 500 wich gives you two completely seperates in each door, dual voice coil bass speakers in the "b"pillars, and a 3.5 and a seperate tweeter in each rear side hatch panels.
gotcha, have any idea why my one b pillar speaker is missing and the other one doesn't work?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 01/02 Camaro's have a 500W amp. I'm not sure if it is the same one that is in the Firebirds.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangkiller
gotcha, have any idea why my one b pillar speaker is missing and the other one doesn't work?
Couldn't guess why one is missing. However, the "not working" part is typical as the Monsoon speakers are not very robust. And the system lends itself to high distortion levels. Not good for speakers of any type.

I'm waiting for replacement speakers, myself.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Couldn't guess why one is missing. However, the "not working" part is typical as the Monsoon speakers are not very robust. And the system lends itself to high distortion levels. Not good for speakers of any type.

I'm waiting for replacement speakers, myself.
i think that maybe it blew so they took it out and unplugged the other one, and never replaced it. i bought a replacement for my passenger side door and it was $80 for one. so i can see why they didn't
Old 09-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

The 01/02 Camaro's have a 500W amp. I'm not sure if it is the same one that is in the Firebirds
I was just referring to information I obtained from my wifes 98 TA and my bro-in-laws 99 SS. I will say this much, the b pillar speakers suck!! Especially the ones used in the Camaro. The Camaro uses a paper-reversed surrond on the cones, and the Trans Am uses a foam surround that produces better bass sound. The problem is the surround on the cones dry rotts and will cause the speaker to distort and produce a rattling sound that will drive you crazy.

I replaced the b pillar units in the Trans Am at the dealer for around $100 each. These speakers are dual voice coil so it is very hard to replace with aftermarket units. Shortly after I replaced the b pillar speakers, the same thing happened to the mid driver in the doors. Luckily, I bought a Z71 Avalanche that used the same door speakers and used these to replace the TA's.

On the Camaro, the door speakers failed about 2years after the car was purchased and I replaced them with top of the line Pioneer 6.5 Coaxials. The wiring going to the tweeter I cut from the speaker and wired it to the current monsoon wiring for the factory tweeters. A bit trickey but the sound quality was much better than that of the monsoon.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

On another note the Bose System in my 95 Z28 sounded better than any Monsoon. The only problem is the cost to keep Bose and the major pain in the *** and cost associated to replace Bose