Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem installing e-cutout

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem installing e-cutout

Okay, see if anyone can diagnose this one....

Got QTP cutout, got it on the cutout no prob. Hooked the harness from cutout through the grommet in the floor board, ran wire through center console. Where the long wire connects to the harness for the switch, I plugged that in. Only thing left to do was hot/ground wires. Tapped into pinkish wire from shifter light in console, and tapped ground (black) of cutout to black of cigarette lighter. This way, lights have to be on for switch to work, and it doesn't stay on all the time.

Problem: It doesn't work!! THe light on the shifter plate still lights up, the cig outlet still powers cell phone charger. No blown fuses. Took everything apart, plugged it back in. Still nothing. How do I diagnose? Give me something to do, I'll go do it and report back. Please help!!! I really wanted to do this today!!

Jeremy
Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

just get power from behind the stereo. Or tag the ORANGE wire on the ign harness.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

If it doesn't work after that, try to make sure you have power at the cutout motor.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
If it doesn't work after that, try to make sure you have power at the cutout motor.
How do I do that? I moved the red wire from the switch from the pink wire for the light to the orange wire for the cig lighter and still nothing happens. Not sure what else to do, so how do I check for power at the motor?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

i just tapped both wires on the cig lighter, way simple.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by herronz28
How do I do that? I moved the red wire from the switch from the pink wire for the light to the orange wire for the cig lighter and still nothing happens. Not sure what else to do, so how do I check for power at the motor?
Can you access the wires at the e-cutout? Take a test light or multimeter and make sure you have voltage there, maybe the motor is bad.