Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

install stock cd changer/add sub

Old 09-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default install stock cd changer/add sub

hey everyone, im kinda new to this so just bear with me lol...i just got a 2001 trans am. It has the stock monsoon system with just a cd player. I was wondering is it possible to add the stock cd changer to the system? Would I need to run cables are they already there? also is there a way to add a sub to the stock system? i think it sounds good but could use alittle more bass. would i need a new amp or another amp in addition to the monsoon amp? also how would i hook up the new amp if there arent rca outputs in the monsoon head unit? thanks alot i appreciate the help
Old 09-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Teching In

i dont know about installing a cd changer after the fact, but as far as subs go you will want to get another amp (rca adapter needed) to push them and depending on what kind of box you get it might interfere with the stock cd changer location.

not trying to push one guy over another, but this place carries most of the popular types of sub boxes for fbodies

http://www.subthump.com/acamaro.htm

edit: this is what i have been able to gather so far, but maybe someone who has actually gone through the process will have more/better info.

Last edited by zeos; 09-27-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Teching In

I'll take a shot at the cd changer question since zeos anwered most of the others. Everything that you need "should" already be there! Pop the hatch, pull off the side cover where the speaker is on the driver's side and and trace the speaker wires back. You should find the cd changer connector somewhere along the wire. It'll be wrapped in foam. As far as I know, you just have to plug the factory changer into it and everything "should" work. Even the steering wheel controls!

I would be more exact with my description, but my Formula is in the shop getting a new fender (it was cracked when I bought it) and I can't go out to look at it! I saw this info on another forum the other day and had to check it out myself. Sure enough, it was there!

Hope this helps! Now get on eBay and find yourself a good changer!

1stbird

2001 Firebird Formula

LS1
6 Speed (M6)
Ram Air Hood (Dealer Installed)
Ram Air Box (Dealer Installed)
K&N Air Filter
CAGS Eliminator
DRL Disable

Black on Black
No T-Tops
GM Factory Bra
Pilot Motorsports Shiftknob
Pilot Motorsports Pedal Covers
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

I got a changer for sale from a 2000 SS.. 12 disc pioneer that came stock.. PM me if your interested..
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The CD changer wiring harness is already in your car as 1stbird said - it's taped to the left rear (hatch area) speaker harness. When you plug it in everything will work as he said. However, the problem will be mounting the changer. When a car came from the factory with a changer, the brackets to mount it were welded to the panel in the opening to the left of the t-top storage area. If the changer wasn't factory installed then those brackets aren't there. There are several ways around this. The method I used was to slip a piece of wood under the carpet and then screw the changer brackets throught the carpet into the wood to hold it down. Been that way for three years now and hasn't moved at all.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Launching!

I installed one in my 02 Z28. It's a convertible but the wires were there taped against a wiring harness.

WhiteBird is right about the welded brackets. There are two long brackets normaly welded to the "floor". There is also two smaller brackets on either side of the changer. My changer came with the small brackets, and I ordered the long brackets. See the exploded view and my changer/brackets...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...lodedview2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...etP1000121.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...nger050528.jpg

I'm pretty sure the p/n for the long brackets was 10276577 and they were about $5/pc. I just screwed them down under the carpet and cut holes for the studs and the bent ends.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Teching In

wow thanks alot i appreciate all the replies. i found the wire but i had no idea these stock changers were over 100 dollars. i figured maybe $50. i think im just guna save some more and do it right

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: install stock cd changer/add sub