Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Considering XM any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Considering XM any opinions?

Hey guys, I am considering throwing an XM tuner in my car, I have a Pioneer DEH-P6700MP head unit which is "XM Ready" so I am looking to pick up a GEX-P900XM tuner on ebay and hook it up, XM subscription doesnt seem too bad but how is the reception ? Quality? and most of all is it worth the 13 bucks a month ?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have it and i'm switching. for one the eq is all messed up. if you have a good system you'll notice it. for example, you know when you play a cd, then listen to an fm station and there is waaay to much bass, well xm is the same, not as bad, but still noticeable. as for clearity i've noticed that some channels are better than others, like channel 20 for example comes in a lot clearer than 47, at least in my case.
the only reason i'm switching to sirus is for stern, i mean i'm sure all satilite radio is pretty much the same.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my XM (no Stern thank God) best thing to do before committing to either service is to try them out, both have sample subscriptions on their web sites ( no cost, just a limited time) go sign up, and see what you like best, there are differences in the music rotation, and the songs they play.
IMO Sirus sounds alot like the normal big market fm radio station (as far as songs played and what's in the rotation) XM is more like a small market independant fm station (little different, not the normal mainstream songs, tho they do have that too)
Old 10-02-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

XM and Sirius are both great. The rock channels on sirius are far better then xm but xm has O and A, while Sirius has howard stern, depends on what you prefer.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

sirrus...i've had it for a couple of months...the maxim channel is awesome...stern is coming to it..and eminem station is good if you like rap too.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like it but is it worth 13 a month? I guess that depends if you have good radio stations where you live.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Thats why im considering it, they just did away with the only radio station i listen to
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have XM and like it.

The best answer I can give you is:
Sample both XM and Sirius and decide for yourself which to get.

They are both worth the $13/month.

They are both much better than FM.

XM's price includes web-streaming.
(I think Sirius does too, but not sure.)

Sirius has no comercials (or at least claims so).
XM has no comercials on music stations, but some on sports/talk/news/comedy stations. (But nowhere near as bad as FM.)
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

I have XM in my truck and Sirius on my Dish. Sirius plays a lot of the same stuff over and over on the rock stations when I listen to it. XM has a more varied play list and spans a lot of eras in what they play. As for sound quality it depends on the song played and when it was originally recorded. It's amazing how much music in the 70's and 80's sucked for SQ. Newer songs are mixed better and sound better. You can tweak your system to get the right sound. I have mine set up just where I like it. You can get XM cheaper if you sign up for a one year pre-paid. I did that and it brings monthly cost down to $9.99 Not sure if they still have the deal as I signed up just before their rate hike. I'm really happy with my XM and have only found a couple places that have interference and it's only for a second or two. I found if I'm downtown with big buildings it tends to block the signal more. I live in the country and I'm SICK of FM as they yack and play more ads than they do music. I get tired of listening to my same CD's over and over so XM is great for me. I'm looking to put it in my Camaro as soon as I decide if I want to replace the factory deck and get something else or try and hook it into the factory system. I don't like the idea of an FM modulater deal though...those REALLY sound like ***.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
I like my XM (no Stern thank God) best thing to do before committing to either service is to try them out, both have sample subscriptions on their web sites ( no cost, just a limited time) go sign up, and see what you like best, there are differences in the music rotation, and the songs they play.
IMO Sirus sounds alot like the normal big market fm radio station (as far as songs played and what's in the rotation) XM is more like a small market independant fm station (little different, not the normal mainstream songs, tho they do have that too)

One word of warning on the online stuff.. IGNORE the Sound Quality issue, its radically different from the Sat Radio SQ. Use it only for judging whether you like the services play stule better.

The best way i can describe sirius is that they are an FM station minus the commercials. they have a Hits based playstyle.

XM's playstyle is broader, you hear the hits but also the lesser songs by the same artists you love. And its quite likley you would say "Why does FM never play this awesome song!?" Cuz the Siskel and Eberts of the music world don't think its good.

I have XM for myself, Sirius is on my Dishnetwork sat, but i rarley listen to it. Usually a TV program is running while im on the net here.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GETGONE
I have XM in my truck and Sirius on my Dish. Sirius plays a lot of the same stuff over and over on the rock stations when I listen to it. XM has a more varied play list and spans a lot of eras in what they play. As for sound quality it depends on the song played and when it was originally recorded. It's amazing how much music in the 70's and 80's sucked for SQ. Newer songs are mixed better and sound better. You can tweak your system to get the right sound. I have mine set up just where I like it. You can get XM cheaper if you sign up for a one year pre-paid. I did that and it brings monthly cost down to $9.99 Not sure if they still have the deal as I signed up just before their rate hike. I'm really happy with my XM and have only found a couple places that have interference and it's only for a second or two. I found if I'm downtown with big buildings it tends to block the signal more. I live in the country and I'm SICK of FM as they yack and play more ads than they do music. I get tired of listening to my same CD's over and over so XM is great for me. I'm looking to put it in my Camaro as soon as I decide if I want to replace the factory deck and get something else or try and hook it into the factory system. I don't like the idea of an FM modulater deal though...those REALLY sound like ***.

Sign up for the 3-5 year plans. Better price AND they will prorate the difference back if you cancel early. Same for sirius on the proration.

Don't fall into the "Lifetime Sub" trap sirius has/had its tied to the lifetime of the receiver activated with it. you can't transfer it to a different one. Dirty trick.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

I would have went for longer but didn't have the $ at the time to go with more than a year's prepaid. We'll see how broke I am when it comes up for renewal.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I decided to forget about XM and just integrate a computer into my car, 10,000 + mp3s should keep me entertained for a while
Old 10-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GETGONE
I'm looking to put it in my Camaro as soon as I decide if I want to replace the factory deck and get something else or try and hook it into the factory system. I don't like the idea of an FM modulater deal though...those REALLY sound like ***.
You can convert the Monsoon's CD-Changer port to RCA AUX-IN with a PIE GM9-AUX.

Here is my install:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....15&postcount=3
Old 10-04-2005, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome! Thanks for that link. I think that's what I'll do in the spring when I get the car out!