Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Crossed battery, now radio doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossed battery, now radio doesn't work

Okay, installed a Raptor shift light tonight. Wired everything up correctly, but when putting the negative battery cable back on I crossed the terminals. Big spark show and scared the **** out of me.

Everything started fine but then I noticed that the radio wasn't working anymore. I checked the fuse for it along the door panel and it's fine. I'm gonna check the wiring for the radio tomorrow just to make sure I didn't bump something loose, but I don't think that can be it. I wasn't fussing around behind the radio so nothing should have moved.

Any other ideas? Is there anything else I should check in the wiring? I'm kinda clueless as to what it might be.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
Okay, installed a Raptor shift light tonight. Wired everything up correctly, but when putting the negative battery cable back on I crossed the terminals. Big spark show and scared the **** out of me.

Everything started fine but then I noticed that the radio wasn't working anymore. I checked the fuse for it along the door panel and it's fine. I'm gonna check the wiring for the radio tomorrow just to make sure I didn't bump something loose, but I don't think that can be it. I wasn't fussing around behind the radio so nothing should have moved.

Any other ideas? Is there anything else I should check in the wiring? I'm kinda clueless as to what it might be.
check all your fuses, under hood, drivers side, and if the radio is aftermarket check the fuses behind the radio. Alot of radios have fuses under or above where the harness plugs in or on a noise filter along the harness.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a fusible link too (the 4th gen fbodies do use these no?)
Old 10-06-2005, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

What's a fusible link?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A fusible link is a piece of wire that acts like a fuse - it melts if too much current passes through it. There are two fusible links related to the radio. Fusible link E provides power to the radio fuse and the power window circuit breaker. Fusible link F provides power to the RADIO ACCY fuse (for the amplifier) and the courtesy lights.

The fusible links are located in front of the left front wheelhouse, behind the underhood electrical center #2. Look for a short piece of black wire that looks melted.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Default 4th gen fusable links

does anybody have a pic on the location of the fusible links I can see the ones by the battery, but not the ones on driver side. need help not getting power to the radio fuse or power window in the fuse box I brought car it had burnt wires for radio fixed them but still no power??
Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You are starting in the wrong place by looking at fusible links when only the radio and windows are not functioning. Those are the only two items on the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit in the Body Control Module (BCM) so your problem is more likely either a fuse for the BCM or a broken solder joint on the BCM circuit board (a fairly common problem).

First check the COURTESY fuse (20 amp fuse #8) which protects the BCM. If that's not blown then read this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html for how to repair the solder joints on the BCM circuit board. It's a long thread and the original photos are gone from the first few pages but keep going... there are more photos on later pages along with complete instructions.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM

Default just not sure?

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A fusible link is a piece of wire that acts like a fuse - it melts if too much current passes through it. There are two fusible links related to the radio. Fusible link E provides power to the radio fuse and the power window circuit breaker. Fusible link F provides power to the RADIO ACCY fuse (for the amplifier) and the courtesy lights.

The fusible links are located in front of the left front wheelhouse, behind the underhood electrical center #2. Look for a short piece of black wire that looks melted.
the only reason I asked about the fusible links is in the post before mine you say there are two that supply power to the fuse box for radio, and power windows the car is a 94 Camaro. and some people say that the 94 and 95 didn't have one not till 96? just asking
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

A 94 Camaro? That would have been helpful information to lead with... especially on an LS1 site.

I will have to dig out my old schematics to determine the power routing for radio and windows on that older model. That won't be until this evening.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 PM

so I guess nobody has a answer for my question?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You're still looking for the wrong thing... the problem is not a burned out fusible link. There are only a handful of fusible links that protect every electrical circuit in the car so each is connected to multiple circuits. In this case, fusible link E protects the RAP module AND the ignition switch. If that fusible link was burned, you'd have bigger problems than radio and power windows... your car wouldn't start.

The problem is likely in the RAP module itself. It is known for having failures in the internal relays or the solder joints on the circuit board (much like later model BCMs). It's not repairable without considerable electronics experience so you'll just have to replace it. It is mounted in a pocket on the inside firewall above the transmission hump next to the power window express module (basically behind the center of the dash). I've heard that it is about $120 if it's even available from a dealer anymore so you may want to check out junk yards.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

just asking so what year were you talking about when you said this?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

98-02 F-bodies. That was almost three years before the BCM fix was discovered.

Quick Reply: Crossed battery, now radio doesn't work