Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Removing Monsoon

Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Monsoon

I am removing my monsoon cd player to try and fix it if that works or simply buy a new one, i was wondering is it necessary to unplug the car battery when doing a deck swap like this?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

"Corporate answer":
always a good idea to remove the battery cable when messing with anything electronic or flammable in your car. Do I always ... no. It' not a huge deal in this case becouse oyur going to lose your radio stations anyway and that's usually everyone's main complaint about disconnection the battery.

Everyday answer:
I didn't disconnect the battery this last time I did the fix on my H/U just FYI .. laziness I guess
Old 10-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you're just removing the radio then even the factory service manual doesn't say to disconnect the battery. Simply unplugging the radio harness has a very low risk of causing a short. Now, if you're going to be working with the wires (splicing, etc.) then disconnecting the battery would be the safer way to go - just to avoid accidental shorts from your tools on the power leads.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

By corporate answer I was meaning "the man" the big whigs ... or more specifically for me Technical Orders or "tech manuals" commonly referred to as TO's. ALL of them dealing with ANY electronic ANYTHING, ALWAYS have a "safety" statement in the beginning saying: "remove all power for the device before performing maintenance" power in this case being the battery not the jack on the back of the radio. By giving this answer I give him the way it should be done to remove any risk of damage to the electronic equipment or components.

I also give him the common practice answer as the risks are minimal and most folks are doing it that was so he could make an informed decision of which he chose to do ... not just someone’s opinion.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Chill man! I was basically saying the same thing except that removing the radio is one of the few things where "the man" doesn't get really fussy about disconnecting power. We all know that those warnings in manuals are put there to avoid law suits and not for practical reasons.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

I'm always chill ... I'm kool

your first post just read like a contradiction versus a concurrence

but it's all good

Search this Thread