Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Capacitor problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capacitor problem

Installed my stereo stuff this weekend. I went to test everything out. First I charged the capacitor. Put the supplied charging bulb where the fuse goes, up by the battery. It charged up to like 12.5v. Then I put the fuse in and cranked up the car, and the voltage on the cap had already dropped down to like 6v and kept going down from there. The stereo was still off at this time aswell as the amps. It went down till the display turned off, then started beeping. I turned the stereo on and no sound of course and the lights on the amps were very very dim.

Used a volt meter and had 12.5 or so volts at the fuse input, 12.5 on the other side of it and 12.5 on the wire that goes to the cap(with wire off of cap) I tried to charge it again and nothing, it wouldn't go over 6.3v. So I discharged the cap down to 0.00v and tried to charge it again, only goes up to 6.3v with the volt meter, the meter on the cap just flickers, and the cap is beeping. Got a resistor and tried that, same thing. WTF. It charged up just fine the first time, I figured maybe I just need to let it charge longer but it won't even charge now. Please help.

3.0 Farad Legacy capacitor.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

O and the charging bulb lit up when I charged it the first time, and when I discharged it, but is not lighting up now when trying to charge it, but I have checked it and it is still good.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

All fixed. Turned out the ground I was using wasn't good enough. All running at a happy 14.4v now.