Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer/box question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subwoofer/box question.

I ordered my box from milhouse. The box fits perfectly in the driverside rear place. When I ordered the box they asked if I wanted it ported and I said sure. In it is a (one) JL 10W6 rated @ 500 w I believe max. When ever I crack it up it sounds distorted and of course it sounds bad. A rockford fosgate 200 Trans-ana amp powers it rated at 250-300 RMS. I've used this amp before on another car pushing two fosgate 12 in. subs and it thumped the crap out of those two and never had issues. My questions should I cover the port, buy an new box, or is the amp throughing to much power or not enough. When ever I increase the gain on the radio or the amp it distorts the sound being produced by the woofer. Any advise would really help.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

That box design with a port is all wrong more then likley... It takes skill and know how to port a box, something that I am sure was not done in making yours.

Excuse me as I'm not an fbody owner.. But you purchased this right?
http://www.subthump.com/acamarostealth.htm

So at .6 cuft, with an older JL 10W6, your box is too small and the port length should be at least near 3" x 18" in length. I'm sure that isn't the case here though...

Best bet is to see if you can get rid of the port and seal it good. I bet that will not be possible without applying some fiberglass and re-carpeting the box though.

.6 with a little stuffing is perfect for a sealed box though

Of course I could be totally wrong on your application
Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

can u show us some pics? u could always double check ur wiring and make sure nothin is messed up. but it would be really easy to patchup the port with some fiberglass.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

For $100 dollars you can buy a box at any sound shop for two 12" subs. I run a fosgate amp to both subs with this simple box and it hits hard, with my top up or down.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

[IMG]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2119069[/IMG]